Howabout a little Goat Ecology Lesson?!

Horn Seeker

Just curious about a couple things...all of which I can look up on google, but funner to bs with you guys about it.

When do they "rut"?

Before/after "rut" can you find a good mature billy with a bunch of nannies, or are they really separated?? Bachelor herds or loners?

Does an old billy like to hang out in nastier country than the rest??

Yeah, I'm pumped for my goat hunt and will probably bug you poor bastards for about 3 more months!!

Thanks,

HS

Rut happens near the end of Oct. Rut goats taste like $hit so the saying goes, whereas a Sept goat is prime table fare. Billys are more solitary and will hang out most of the year away from the Nannys and kids. It is my firm belief that big ol' billys like to be alone more often than not. And yes, they seem to pick some pretty nasty $hit to call home.

Ernie,

Buy a book called "beast the color of winter".

You'll know about all there is to know about goats.

Most of the goats around here start getting their thick winter coats early in Sept when the first frosts and snows hit the high country. I don't know about warmer climate goats though. Been told the best time to hunt is the last 2 weeks of Oct as the snow pushes them down into more easier accessable areas. Early Sept can find them still hanging out near the glaciers and in 'no mans land' literally.

I shot my billy October 19 or 20th and the hair was great. As for table fare, I thought the meat was excellent. Keep bugging us. :D

Crappy picture, but shows hair anyway.
goat_mount_1.sized.jpg

I shot mine in mid November and his hair was awesome. The meat was terrible. Still kicking myself that I didn't do a full body mount. He was by himself on a south exposure at about 9000 feet. He died on about the only flat spot on the mountain which was very lucky. I've heard a lot of stories about them taking the death plunge and messing up the cape and horns. Good luck on one of the most exciting game hunts there is!

I got my goat on the 30th of October and the hair was good, it was also in a group of 14 goats and the only billy in the bunch. Most of the billies I saw were either alone or with another billy.

Its pretty easy to know the difference between billies and nannies once you've hunted and looked at them for a while.

The one thing I would caution you on is to make sure your goat has 2 horns before you shoot. I stalked a real good billy on my first 10 day solo hunt in Montana. I wasted a lot of effort to find that he had only one horn and a 2 inch stub on the other side. Its too bad...that was the best goat I saw in 16 days of hunting. Have fun and enjoy the tag, you may not get another one.

Heres a picture of my goat shot in late October:

gt2.JPG

My brother killed one in the late 80's in the Bitterroots on September 15th and its hair wasnt as good, but still not bad:

mattsgoat2.JPG

I can't comment on rut times and hair etc in MT, but I'll post a few pics of my AK goat and some more material to check out before your hunt.

Check out this vid...

http://www.wildramhunters.net/cgi-bin/shop.pl/SID=1118932653.1240/page=product.html/product=42

and this book...

http://www.wildramhunters.net/cgi-bin/shop.pl/SID=1118932744.11644/page=product.html/product=18

Killed mid Oct 02 in Prince William Sound
jimgoat13copy.sized.jpg

The finished product...
goat1.sized.jpg

You can check out more of my goat pics in my gallery here. Also, if you need some advice on gear, I can probably assist you in that department.

Congrats on the draw!

Horn Seeker,

The day before I got my goat, I spent the day glassing from the road and saw 2 nice billies, the one I got I believe and another one that was an absolute pig, but he was in the cliffs. I could not see a way to get to him without risking life, and the guy I was with said if I went after it I would be doing it alone. Sanity prevailed! As it was, the one in the "easier" terrain was not easy. Half way up my partner said his butt was puckering and to go on without him. That was lucky because he eventually found an easier route and was able to make it to the goat to help me pack him out. Going up was easier than going down. Going down hill with full packs on ice and snow can be dangerous... you start sliding and it's hard to stop. One thing for sure, goat hunting will make you know your alive, if it doesn't kill you first!

hehehe, sweet info all! I am good for gear and such as I've messed around in the rocky alpine quite a bit. One thing I haven't really done is actually camped up IN IT. Is it really even possible to camp up on one of the rocky ridges, or should I just call it good down at timberline and make the crawl up every morn??

Great looking goats all. I am pretty sure I'm going to get the half mount with the front legs....I've always been in love with that mount!!

HS

goatsss.jpg

DANG! I wish I wouldn't have wasted 23$ on Duncans video, really basic and not all that entertaining. Sorry Dunc, I have the utmost respect for ya, but that vid had more shots of glaciers calving than actual goat footage! (thats an exaggeration, but it was annoying).
RIP DG!

HS

RIP Duncan. He was one of a kind! I never saw his goat video, but his book Hunt High is good. His video on judging caribou is pretty good as well.

What unit did you draw H. S.? I would use my spotting scope to cover lots of ground and wait till you spot the one you want before I went after him.

Even with a spotting scope, I've found you have to get close to really judge them. Lot harder than most animals. Easy to tell billy from nannie once you get close, but still difficult to tell just how big. Lots of variables. Just my opinion.

I"m gonna stretch a tape on him then stick my arrow in, only if he's like 11 1/2 inches and about 5 3/4 plus at the base..... hehehe

serious though, the world record is 12"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And 6 inch bases. Holy crap.

Hey, sweet gallery!! I am hoping to get some cool pics this summer and during the hunt.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back