Yeti GOBOX Collection

Idaho Moose/Sheep/Goat Results Online

wilecoyote76

Maybe some of you will have a little more luck than I did this year. I can't complain, it's only my first year puting in for moose. Besides, what would I do with one of those big ol' black biznatches anyway? :D

Check out the link and reply with the good news.....or lack thereof!

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/hunt/ch/msg.cfm

What a great state....

When I put the 12 year old GirlGunner's license number in the system, this is the reply....
Congratulations!
License number 10X-5-00xxxx was drawn for the following hunt(s):

Species ......Hunt Area ....Hunt No.
Moose .......6X-2 ..........30XX

Your controlled hunt permit and tag will be mailed to you. :D

For information on rules and dates for particular hunts, please visit our on line regulations booklets . :cool:

Girlgunner is gonna drill a Palisades moose with her 243! Congrats to the daughter.

Try to be there around the first part of October. Rut is peaking and its easier to locate them. Plus the elk are bugling, deer is open Oct 5th. The browns are running up Salt River, the sandhill cranes are cranky, the quakies are golden.

You'll love it.

My dad just called me to let me know he also drew a tag. Looks like I'm going to get to play guide for him. The hardest part of that is getting him to pass on smaller stuff. My dad gets a little trigger happy. He said he's going to try it with a bow so that's cool.

Good luck to everyone else.

I'd go with the .308. It loaded with some 165gr XXX or Partitions would surely do the job and she's got all summer to get used to shooting it.

If you do go with the .243 (which would kill it) I'd look at the Barnes bullets. Tests I've read show they penetrate like a Partition 1.2Xs heavier.

Have her use whatever she is most comfortable with. No doubt the 243 will work with good bullets and shot placement. Just take broadside shots.

WH,
Since she is only 12, she has limited experience. So far she has just shot Mule Deer, Springbok, Blesbok, and Impala. And they have all been a single shot at each animal...

T-Bone and 1-Ptr,
Right now the .243 has 90gr Partitions, and I was thinking maybe keep her shooting that all Summer and some reduced loads in the .308, and then making the switch at the end to a Partition in the .308 and having her shoot it at the moment of truth....

I think I have some 180gr X-Bullets, but haven't checked the load data...

Gunner,

Congrats to your daughter on the Moose tag. Hope she has a great and successful hunt. Moose aren't hard to kill, they just take awhile to expire. Even so, the .308 makes more sense.

That's right, you took her to Africa. I really think the 308 is a good idea, but I'm not sure a 180 x bullet would be necessary. A 308 with a 180 would have a pretty good kick to it. A 150 grain x bullet would be plenty with a lot less recoil. But I suppose if you load the 180's to just around 2000 fps they may not be so bad.

The 308 would give a little more margin for error.

Good to see someone pulling a moose tag. My dad applied for the cow tag (now exempt from the 1/lifetime) just south of your unit. He zeroed. I was hoping he would draw so he could catch a little of the fire again.

Since your daughter is charmed, please ask her to say a little prayer for my late season trophy buck application.

But I suppose if you load the 180's to just around 2000 fps they may not be so bad.
That'd work for practive, but I would shoot'em that slow on game as I'm not sure they'd open... :confused:

I'd guess that since GirlGunner can handle a 20ga with goose loads that getting her used to pretty potent 150-165gr .308 loads will be no problem. I think Rem. makes some reduced recoil loads for .308 to start her on. No matter what she uses, if she puts the right bullet in the right spot, you've got some packing to do!!! :D

Awesome, congrats to gunnergirl and IB's pa. Looking forward to reading about some ID moose this Fall.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back