Other options?

Funter

If you don't get drawn in your home state what are some other options? Not something that will cost a fortune either.

Trudging with the orange army in a over the counter unit will be my only other option.

If I wasn't from CO, a $250 cow elk tag in CO is a pretty good deal. There'll be thousands of them left over after the draw.

Oak

WHT MTNMAN,
Not yet just trying to figure out an "other option to hunt".

Oak,

Is that an invitation?:)

This year, Alaska is my consolation prize! :D That and I've put in for enough animals in enough states that I should draw something, even if it is just doe pronghorns! I'll probably be doing the OTC thing for deer/elk in ID this year as well.

1 pointer...Alaska...?... A CONSOLATION prize...?? I'd like to know what the GRAND prize would be... :D .....

Grand Prize was drawing the Desert Sheep tag in UT! Sitka's make a pretty nice second...:D

Lots of Options

The first four or five options will cost a nonresident a few hundred dollars.

First option: Idaho and Colorado both offer over-the-counter bull elk tags. I think I reard somewhere that Oregon offers over-the-counter bull elk tags too. But I'm not too clear on that.

2nd Option: Colorado will be offering lots of left-over cow elk tags that you can buy at any Division of Wildlife office.

3rd Option: Wyoming will be offering a bunch of left-over antelope tags. The trick there will be to find an area with good access and lots of BLM land and left-over tags. Usually you can find places with only two of the three requirements.

4th Option: You can hunt whitetails in many of the eastern and southeastern states, with an over-the-counter tag, for just a few bucks. The trick there is finding some private land to hunt.

5th Option: You can spend as little as a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars hunting hogs, javelinas and exotics, in Texas. There are many ranches that offer hunting throughout the year. It will take some research to find one that's inexpensive.

6th Option: Of course there's always Alaska. Airfair and license/tags will cost at least $1,000. But you need to get far from roads and that will cost you $1,400 to $1,700 for an unguided drop-off hunt. You can get more services for more money. Everybody should experience the Alaskan wilderness at least once in their life.

KC

Idaho has a couple of drawings, the super hunt drawing($4.95) and the super hunt combo drawing($19.95). The super hunt is for 1 specie-you pick when you apply-in any open hunt in the state. The super hunt combo is for 1 each(Moose, Elk, Deer, Antelope) in any open hunt in the state. The odds are long but it could save you a mountain of cash. Enter as many times as you wish. Look for it on the F&G website.

Funter, I figured a bull tag was not an option. I thought all NR's thought CO bull tags are overpriced! ;) Well, you could also buy a bull tag AND a cow tag.

Oak

Oak,

They are about what I expected.A cow tag looks better.I am also talking to family in Missouri to see what they have for whitetail ,they have lots of land to hunt.

The Texas public draw hunts for the year don't come out until Aug. That's after people know their other draw results, so its an option. Its $3 to apply, unless it goes up again, the legislature is still in session. They say no man,woman, child, nor horse is safe while the legislature is in session here. haha

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back