Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

backpacks/daypacks

csutton7

I know we don't see everything that's needed for hunting when we watch videos or the TV shows, but you rarely if ever see the PH or hunter using a backpack or fanny pack--why not--are you rarely that far from the hunting vehicle that it's not necessary--just seems to me that you'd want water and at least a day pack--but are there skinners/trackers/helpers that carry the stuff and you just never see them??

From what I understand, there is a "water boy" for most of these hunts. He's responsible for taking care of drinks and the lunch. I think for the most part, most plains game hunts take place fairly close to an accessable road so you won't be to far from the food or water at any given time...

On the hunt I'm going on in a couple months, there will be me, the PH, a tracker and a water boy that will stay with the vehicle and will either "bring her around" when we kill something or meet up with us at some point with refreshments. I plan on taking my back pack with me though, I like to keep all my hunting stuff handy, like camera, tripod, a little water, knife, etc... I told the PH that I want to do as much as possible in reguards to the hunting, and that means field dressing, loading, dragging, etc... I don't want it to be just a shoot out...

Yeah, just plains game... this time. ;) We'll hunt for 9 days and tour back through Kruger for 4 and come home. Been looking forward to this for over a year!

I've been discussing our first hunt with several PH's and outfitters and they all seem to want to lead us into a plains game hunt. Most of them stressing the number of trophies. For myself, I want a buffalo or I'm willing to go home empty handed.

bambistew--where are you going and who are you going with and what's on the agenda--how many times have you been??? ---

I just can't imagine not having a pack of some kind with me--of course if there's some one else to carry it and it is in the pkg then ok--

I'm with SRR on the buff being #1 on the list--I'm just hoping I can make it work out next year---chris

I plan on carrying my daypack as Bambi mentioned for items such as my camera, tripod, rangefinder and snacks/food. My PH says we could be away from the truck for hours at a time.

My wife and I leave the 3rd or Sept for RSA. It will be our first hunt of many to come I'm sure... We're hunting with Samaria Safari's, their based in the Limpopo region right on the River... Number one and two on my list of must get are kudu and bushbuck... I would like to get the best I can find... Going to the limpopo region and not hunting bushbuck would be like going to Arkansaw and not hunting ducks... So I'm sure, over the course of 9 days we'll run into some onther fine animals that I'll take. I pretty much just set a budget and will try to stick to that as far as animals... Right now I have budgeted on top of the kudu and bushbuck... gemsbuck, impala, worthog, and... possibly one other critter if its a nice trophy. They have a lot of water buck too... so there is a chance that I'll take one of them if I see a good one. All in all, I am going to concentrate on the kudu and bushbuck and let the others fall in line... Most of the guys that I've talked with about animals selection said to pick the ones you "really" want and then take the others that you "would" like along the way!

I'm taking my 375 for primary, my 280 for my wife to use and possibly for back up if need be, and am also taking my bow! Its going to be awesome... I can't wait!

I really want to go on a buff hunt too, but I figured that plains game would be a great way to get my feet wet. IMO, if you want a buff, hunt one! Don't let the PH's talk you into something that you don't want. Buff is definately on my list, but it won't be for a few years down the road... I have to make up a long trip some place that my wife wants to go next... Fortunately she mentioned something about either New Zeland or Argentina... and those stupid red stags just happen to live in both places... ;) That will be a couple years down the road, then maybe after than we'll embark to the dark continent again for a buff and possibly lepord... That would pretty much take care of my africa itch... as of right now... :)

The great majortiy of my hunters bring a small daypack or fanny pack with them for a bottle of water, camera and misc things. It is never a problem and they are used quite frequently by my clients.

One reason you may not see them in a video is that the excess gear is usually dropped when a final stalk is made, or in many cases the vehicle may be near by and the stalks short. When Hunting Buffalo you may drive the bush for a lot of hours searching for fresh tracks and sign. Even the smell will alert you that Buffalo are nearby. When doing this you could be on foot for hours, or you could see the heard near the truck. Zimbabwe hunts for buff are very typical of this. I know one hunter in particular that has shot a heck of a lot of buffalo within 500 yards of the truck, all were in Zimbabwe too!

Eland and Elephant tend to be foot hunts while tracking more then anything else. I do hunt by getting dropped off in a location that we will go across through the middle of the roadless bush. Then we are picked up several miles away. These hunts could be a 1/2 day walk where a daypack would be good.

Most of the trees in RSA will scrape and claw at your clothing and pack. Nylon is a hidious loud material for thorns and stiff branches. Not much more un-natural sound then a thorn scratching against a nylon pack! The zippers also rattle to no end. I always wrap the metal zipper tabs with a rubberband which will take all the sound out of the zipper. Fleece is also a good material for a day pack. Much quieter. Fanny or Lumbar packs are likely the best as they leave your shoulders free and can much more easily avoid the bush. I have been using a Mountain smith Lumbar(fanny) pack for 10 years now and it will handle anything I need for a day hike in the bush. It also unsaps with a front buckle and can drop to the ground instantly if the stalk requires it. The shoulder day bags are a struggle to remove at times, and maybe due to the design. I have seen many hunters struggle to get them off quickly and smoothly.

JJ--are you back for a short visit or haven't you left yet or do you have internet capabilities at your African camp???......chris

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back