Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Cam n' a half

DKO

what do you think about them ???? heres an interesting observation : look at the cams on a cam n' half bow : hoyt xtec is what i was looking at ! anyway single cam bows have an idler wheel on the top and a radical cam on the bottom ! cam n half bows incorporates the older two cam configuration along with the ideler wheel and the more radical cam all combined into one cam! the weird thing is that the idler wheel part of a cam n half is on the bottom and the more radical cam on the top...exactly opposite of the single cam technology....anybody else ever noticed that ??? and why is it that way ????

On Hoyt bows you'll find that the geometry of the top and bottom cam is identical. As you indicate the modules on the top and bottom are different. While the module on the bottom cam rolls over and hits the dampener creating the solid "wall", the top module is rounded (rather than coming to a flat spot that stops against the cam)and acts as the idler wheel. I think you've misinterpreted what your looking at.

gundog.....thanks for the explanation !.....your interpretation was obviously alot more in depth than mine...........are you right in Key West ?...may have to buy you a cold one come the mini season!
take care!

My personal opinion is that hybrid cams are wonderful. I'm much happier with the performance of my Hoyt Cam and 1/2 than I was with the single cam bow that I had earlier. There are a few different systems that work on the same principles/basic design philosphy. Darton has the CPS, PSE has a hybrid, Archery Research, Martin, Merlin and others. Its a good design and seems to be catching on with more and more people. I know I'm a believer.

DKO:

Here's some additional info on the cam-n-half:

CAM-N-HALF
The symmetry between the top and bottom cams of the Cam & 1/2 Performance System allow for precise tuning and ultimate accuracy. They are also "slaved" together with one harness system, allowing them to work together rather than independently and to fire at the exact same time every time. This means that you will never have to worry about cam synchronization or timing, making the Cam & 1/2 Performance System extremely forgiving and reliable. It comes standard with sealed stainless steel ball bearings that never need lubricating creating a very fast and consistent design.

SLAVED TOGETHER
The symmetry between the top and bottom cams of the Cam & 1/2 Performance System allow for precise tuning and ultimate accuracy. They are also "slaved" together with one harness system, allowing them to work together rather than independently and to fire at the exact same time every time. This means that you will never have to worry about cam synchronization or timing, making the Cam & 1/2 Performance System extremely forgiving and reliable.

Hope it helps.

The cam and a half eliminates a lot of the up and down arrow movement before the arrow leaves the string and its much more forgiving if the arrow is shot from less than full draw. I shoot a single cam now but the cam and a half is technologically superior.
Matthews controls the single cam market with a number of patents and they market it heavily but my guess is that cam and a half will evetually win out.

The older Dual cams were always (well not ALWAYS but mostly) more efficient. The singles have a place as their a bit quieter and aren't as suceptable to the sync and timing problems the older duallys had.

Newer string materials have come a long way though and tying the top and bottom cams together...which is what a hybrid system does...all but eliminates the timing and sync issues that the older duallys had.

Darton's CPS was the tip of the iceberg really...that top was a glorifies idler with the way it was strung. The new stuff flat out rocks though. Hoyt, AR has a great one and the Bowtech Equalizer is the best of the bunch IMO.

The Equalizer doesn't cable to the limbs AT ALL. Cam to cam and add a 1/2" of string...level nock...shrink 1/2"....level nock and all in sync and timed. Awesome stuff.

Back