Night Force 8 - 32x56

Sounds like a heckuva varmit scope...is it a 1 inch or 30mm tube?...you'd surely need the light gathering capabilities at 32 power.

30mm tube. I'm not sure of the adjustments if they are 1/8 or 1/4. The scope is valued at $1446.00. It's part of a custom made gun by a Mike Palazza. I've never heard of him.

Thats the negative part. It's only a 300 win mag. That would be a great cal. for target shooting but not a very good killing round. I have some friends and they shoot a 338 edge. That is a 300 ultra mag blown out to shoot 338. Because the 300 ultra mag is a little longer than the 338 ultra mag they can load 10 more grains of powder. They shoot 300 gr match king. I can't remember which specific bullet.

I guess that is probably a 338-378 wby. but alot cheaper to shoot and they use a dialed in 700 Rem. action.

Sounds like a long range set up...similar to the guys who shoot the jarrett's...3-400 yard shots and farther. Nothing wrong with the 300 win mag...about 25+ lbs. recoil...the overbore cases you refer to pack a stiff punch consequently the erosion of accuracy negates the potential of the increased magnification. (to me).
IMHO that's too much magnification for hunting practicality, it just depends upon what application you want it for Double 7.

My big rig is a 300 wby mag w/ a zeiss 4.5x14

This gun weighs 16 lbs. It's deffinately a 1000 yard set up. The guys I know and hunted with one year in ID are into 1000 kills. One guy shoots a 416 Rigby necked down to a 338. He killed an elk on that trip at 1446 yards, 2 shots. They sit up on a ridge and just glass all day.

My big gun is 300-378 wby. It shoots great a 4-500 yards but I can't get better than an 1.25 group at 100 yards with consistancy.

I'd stick with the 30-378...great round & not bad to shoot with accubrake. I'm guessing you reload...$90 per box for premium wby ammo is tough.

My 300 wby doesn't do any better than 1.25 at the range either. The thousand yard guys know what they're doing bu thatt kinda takes the 'hunt' outa the equation, don't you think?

The challenge is still finding the elk or deer and then learning how to shoot with wind, b. pressure, etc. It's not easy to shoot elk or deer out 800+ yards especially 1000 + yards. But I know what you mean. I'd still like to have a set up to be able to do it. I can make my 30-378 shoot very accurate at 500 yards from a bench rest and at a 1000 yards I can put them in a 18" group. Not bad because I'm shooting with a Leopold VxIII 3.5-10 and eye balling my lift. I hold about 8' above my target at 1000 yards.

Take a look at the Jarrett rigs just for curiosity's sake...your wby will go long more accurately with stronger optics though. (not as accurate as the Jarrett)
I looked through some schmidt & bender riflescopes at SCI back in January...very clear...lotsa shooter's features...lotsa $$$
Would like to find a longer shooting range than the usual 100 yd we have here...200 would be enough for me.
Appreciate the info.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back