NEW Ariz. 2005 Hunt Regs Info ...

Lv2hnt

Well, thanks to USO , here's what everyone will be dealing with for this Fall's hunts:

Fall 2005 big game draw changes (Arizona)

Applying for a hunt permit-tag in this fall's draw? Significant changes have been made to the process this year:

The online application process has been suspended. For the fall 2005 draw, a manual system with paper applications is the only way to apply.

To apply: 1) fill out a paper application. 2) include a check, cashier's check or money order payable to the Arizona Game and Fish Department for all applicable license, hunt permit-tag and application fees. 3) mail or deliver to any department office by 7 p.m. (MST), June 14. Note: The department must receive completed paper applications by the deadline; postmarks don't count.

Inside tip: On deadline day all Arizona Game and Fish offices will be inundated with people who waited until the last minute. Save time: apply early. If you apply by May 27, the department will review your application and attempt to contact you if any errors are found.

Pick up the new regulations and hunt draw permit applications at department offices, at license dealers or download them from the department's Web site. Regulations and applications will be available first from azgfd.gov in downloadable PDF format on May 2. Hard copies will be available at all department offices and license dealers around May 20. Throw away any old applications. Due to process changes they are no good. The new applications are yellow; the old ones are white.

All applicants must buy a hunting license. In the past, applicants could ask that a license be issued only if they were drawn. This year, all applicants must have a hunting license to be eligible for the draw. Hunters who don't already have a license can apply for one on the hunt permit application form. If you choose to apply for a license at the time of application, you must include the license fee with each application you make. However, only one license will be issued and the other license fees will be refunded.

Buying a license to enter the draw? For twice the fun, buy a combination hunting-fishing license. Take advantage of Arizona's wettest winter in a decade - fish Arizona!

Hunt permit-tag fees must be paid up front. All application fees, hunt permit-tag fees, and license fees (if applying for a license at time of application) must be included with the application. Hunt permit-tag fees will be refunded if the applicant is unsuccessful in the draw. A bonus point may be purchased for the cost of the license (if needed) and for the application fee only, instead of paying the entire tag fee.

A loyalty bonus point has been created. A single loyalty bonus point will be awarded for people who buy a license and apply for big game hunts for five consecutive years. The point is genus specific and will be retained as long as the hunter continues to apply each calendar year for that genus. The starting year for record keeping purposes is 2001. So, anyone who applies for a genus, and has applied for that same genus every year beginning in 2001, will earn a loyalty bonus point for that genus in this drawing. A proposed conservation bonus point that hunters can earn for volunteer effort is in the rulemaking process and will not be in place for the fall 2005 draw.

The bonus point pass percentage is higher. The bonus point pass percentage has increased from 10 to 20 percent, meaning that 20 percent of tags will be set aside for applicants with the highest number of bonus points.

A set-aside percentage of bighorn sheep hunt permits for nonresidents has been created. Fifteen percent of the total available bighorn sheep hunt permit-tags in any calendar year will be set aside for nonresidents.

Eager to hear draw results? By July 29, customers will be able to get draw results through azgfd.gov and by telephone at (602) 942-3000. Permits will be mailed to successful applicants in late July.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

And yes, USO sucks!!! (Hey Stan, give me a call Sunday night; e-mail me if you've lost my # ...)

Lv2hnt

That really blows.

With the way things are going I think I will be spending my money south of a border to hunt some coues and not deal with this crap.

Requiring the cash to be sent in, instead of credit cards is going to make for better drawing odds. :)

I'm all for the "money up front" rule, it will weed out thoses who are not seirous.
In the "credit card/no license" days, thousands of people put in for their whole family.
People were drawing early bull and rut mule deer tags that had never been hunting and didn't know what they had.
"My brother put me in the drawing, and told me this is a really good tag, can you tell me what an elk looks like ?"

Most, if not all, of the changes you see in the post above were made as a result of public meetings held during the fall and winter of '04. For the most part, they are an attempt to provide as much of an edge to AZ hunters and those who have been collecting bonus points for a long time. The changes also will limit the "influence" that USO and other organizations can do to hunting in our state, and minimize the possibility of more litigation. By and large, hunters here in AZ vastly support these changes, including the paper draw and up-front fees. No longer can some out-of-state hunter simply apply for the draw without a SUBSTANTIAL investment. This is a good thing!!!!!!! AZ Game & Fish Department listened to us, we listened to what their concerns and issues were, and the result is what you are looking at. I was there, and I know this for a fact.

Kudos to AG&FD on this one!!!!!

Well then.. thanks! I drew in Arizona before credit card applications. Hopefully this will be my year again. I've been dreading the day when Wyoming goes to credit cards and on-line applications. I like the draw odds in Wyoming.

Next year, here in AZ, you'll probably see a return of the credit card as a method of payment. BUT you'll probably never again see a draw where all you put upfront is a measly $5 application fee, and no requirement to purchase a license regardless of hunt draw success. Our G&F department spends something like $2-400,000 per year administering its online payment program, and needed more time to find a better and cheaper method. That's the reason for the paper draw this year.

After our experiences with USO and our concerted efforts to fix our program, other states will surely follow suit. Same thing with the way we are responding to the "hunting permits as payment for habitat damages" fiasco that some in our state are attempting to slip in on us.

LV2, where did you see that the new bonus point plans have been passed? From what I understood, this will not be decided until the April hunt set meeting.......
Also, NR have an equal chance at tags, meaning no limitations, so we very well could have 70% (or more) NR hunting in AZ this year.

The new point rules are on the G&F website under wildlife news. They did not need approval for that part just for the new fee structure.

It had to be passed by the commission, and didnt know it had gotten to that stage yet....at least, it doesnt look like the "conservation bonus point" passed.

Well here's one non-resident that has no problem with these changes. Money up front kind of separates the men from the boys in my opinion. Besides I already qualify for the "loyalty point". hump

Hey Stan & Tom, where's the part that would give ol" BOHNTR his own drawing so I can hunt elk again? I thought you had my back! :D

The conservation bonus point will involve "liability" issues, and that is one reason it has been tabled until next year.

Funter, My understanding is that if you have been applying for a particular genus since the 2001 draw, and you apply this year, you get a loyalty point for this year. If I'm wrong, please show me.

Bohnter, lest there is some mis-understanding regarding non-residents, I know of no one who resents non-residents who apply to hunt in AZ. Hell, I regularly apply in other states as well, and even though I know the deck is stacked against me, I'll proudly hunt there if I'm lucky enough. I just don't want some SCHLOCK, SCUMBAG outfitter trying to bully his way into my home state and f*cking up the hunting for everybody. Nuff said??????

Numbmie:

Glad you feel that way, didn't infer otherwise. I've just been around long enough to know there WILL be some non-residents pissing and moaning about having to buy a license to draw, etc........just wish I lived in a state that offered you the same type of opportunity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back