Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Broadhead Choice for Turkey?

antlerrick

Have any of you taken a turkey with archery tackle?? :confused: I'm just trying to decide what is the best broadhead to use for a quick kill on those big birds.
Would you use expandables or fixed ?
Won a conservation permit at our local NWTF so I have over 7 weeks to hunt so I'm going to spend it with a bow..hump
Should be a blast!!!
a*r :D :D :D

I have killed em with a bow...............dont know what yer setup is, but I have found the expandables to knock em down quick. Personally, I like the Rockets, they have 3 blades and are devastating.
My friend's father got one last fall with a Rocket and he is only shooting 52 lbs. The Tom made it 2 steps before collapsing.

I've arrowed a few over the years. I used to use the same head that I hunted deer with, but have lately used expandables for them. They do a number on them. I agree with the above post, Rocket expandables would be a good choice. Good luck and have fun.

Mechanicals are a good choice or you can use a fixed.

Larger cutting diameter is prefered by some as a lot of guys I know would prefer to have the arrow stay in the bird as opposed to looking for a pass through as you would with most other game.

I plan on using the bow and will be using a Rocket Mini Blaster Mechanical witha 1 3/4" cutting diameter.

I used them on a couple of does last year and they're pretty devastating.

YOUSE FIXED trustmy if you hit him in a bad spot you dont have to worrie about it not opening up my choice would be phantom broadheads.

My 1st and largest tom was taken with archery. I used my standard big game setup. Broadhead was a Thunderhead 100. I aimed center of mass, but I over estimated the distance and the broadhead clipped the back of his head.

Better be lucky than good.

The best part was my 3 year old was right at my side taking it all in.

Click here for kill shot vid I taken a few. Hands down the best is the rocket buckblaster. They are crap for deer because they are so big they dont penetrate but for turkey they rock!!!
They are 2 1/2 inch diameter and you can also attach 3 more fixed blades but you dont want those. All you have to do is hit it anywhere in the chest cavity and the broadhead will follow the inside of the chest wall and kill it. Dont expect a pass through either, they are so dense it wont pass through them.
Check out this video from last years kill, the arrow comes from the lower right hand corner. Watch out for those squirrells!!

Boy, you freaked that squirrel out!! But, the other turk just walked off.
If you have a 1/2 way decent setup for expandables, they will rock whatever they hit.

I agree, just use a large diameter head. I am not a fan of head shots unless you use a large fixed blade.

Devon, I've seen those heads (and watched their video) and don't know if I want to be walking around the woods with that much blade out...let alone have it around my bow string.

I've taken two birds by bow and have used the Puckets Gobblestopper for a head plus a star on the shaft (below the head) to slow the pass through down. Has worked great on both hens I've shot (they were fall birds taken incidental to deer hunting)...still waiting on a spring tom by bow!

Devon, by the way...Welcome to HuntTalk! I see you are from the Mount, I'm just down the road from ya in Redding!

Check out the Idaho bow pics, posted by wally dog. I shot that bird with Goldtip expandables. I have been shooting them on deer in Utah for the past few years and they are really good broadheads. Make sure that you put a little wd-40 on the blades, They are carbon and they will rust. Check out the broadhead coming out of the Turkeys chest.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back