Inspect your arrows!!!! this is my arm!!

schmalts

Hey guys, just a reminder to inspect your carbon arrows once in a while. Last week i went to shoot the video system on the way home from work and the very first shot my arrow broke in 3 pieces coming out of the bow!! I am very lucky none of the parts went into my arm. I do not know if part of the shaft hit my arm or the arrow trying to cartwheel made the string whip this bad but damn that hurt!!! This is after the swelling went down but i had an egg! The bruise went all the way under the part you can see and up towards my wrist 3/4 the way
arm%20001.jpg

Youch!!!! Just a while ago there was that picture of a guy that had a carbon explode and splinter into his hand... Just what is the best way to check the carbons?? I just switched over to them this last season and love the way they shoot and do not bend but after seeing and hearing some of the "war stories" I am wondering. I was told to inspect for any cracks and to twist them to see any flexing. If found toss them.. Is this the correct procedure? Thanks.

wow man that had to hurt looks bad hope ur ok well if the box whatevr they came in says warning to be careful of that if not i yell at em :eek:

Ooh man, that looks like it hurts!! I've had the string slap my arm but never that bad. I am a believer in arm guards even if I don't need them. To be honest, I don't think I have inspected my carbons in depth but seeing this makes me rethink it a little.

Daa-amn that looks like it smarts :eek:
I used to have one of those "ventilated" arm guards years ago, the kind that squeezes your flesh up through the holes if you strap it on too tight--did that ONE time and got a string whip on it.......yikes, never again!!

Here is that other carbon link that Ridge was speaking of:

Shaft blow-up!

I've seen this happen several times with bows set at 70 lbs. I talked with several reps--one said that even the smallest "nick" or "dent" can led to failure. I'm still shooting aluminum.

I agree gundog. I will use aluminum no matter how fast and accurate the carbons are. The aluminum are cheaper too. I don't care if I have to replace an arrow everytime I shoot it or what. It has to be safer than the carbons. I haven't went hunting with my bow as of yet, but hopefully I can this year. But my choice will be alumium arrows.

Carbons are great but you do have to be carefull.

I check mine pretty frequently and the biggest culprit seems to be a small crack at the nock end if you shoot groups.

Hard to see but if you put a little left-right pressure on the nock you can see the seperation. I'd bet this flaw attributes teh majority of the explosions that happen as they're hard to see adn when the powerstroke of the bow gets started it's the nock end that gets hit the hardest and is usually the first to go.

Glad your OK though...could have been much worse.

Kelly, the knock end was one of the parts that was not broke. the closest break was at least 6 inches away.

Wow. I've never had it happen and hope I never do....I'll start checking the entire shaft from now on.

(That didn't come out quite right):eek:

Anyway glad it wasn't anymore serious than it was...I'm sure that sucked plenty though.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back