Scopes?

1_pointer

Currently I'm using a 2.8-10 variable, but am thinknig of switching to a fixed 4 or 6X. I shot a cow elk at 309yds last year with my current scope on 6X and a doe pronghorn this year at ~100yds. Seemed to work okay there. Just thinking that the fixed scopes are lighter and wih less moving parts, should theoretically be less prone to breaking.

So, what's on your gamegetter?????

i use a 3x9 on everything. usually i never need more than 4 power but since part of my club is management i will crank up my scope to be sure a doe isnt a button buck sometimes. other than that i would bet a fixed 6 would be fine

Had a K6x32 weaver on a well used 30-06 pump remington 20 years ago...it shot as well or better than any of the high priced 50mm variables I'm convinced I have to have these days.

I've converted most of my hunting guns to fixed power scopes--2.5x, 4x and 6x--"lighter and less to go wrong". I still have big variables on the varmint rifles.

I have a fixed 4x on my Marlin .22
a Simmons 4-14x on my Ruger .223 bolt
a Leupold VXII 3-9x on my Model 70 .06
and I bought a BSA 1.5-4.5x to mount on my other .06
I don't really need 2 but my stepdad left me his sporterized Mauser 98
Its at the gunsmiths now getting the bolt reworked, the safety moved, and drilled/tapped for two piece bases so I can put the scope on.

I wanted the low power scope for field of view at close quarters. I plan on using 220 grain premium loads in this one for moose and black bear

I pretty much have 3-9 leupolds on everything...only because they're just about as cheap, or in some cases, cheaper than a fixed scope. I didnt own a variable for many years when I was a kid...hunted exclusively with steel-tubed k-4 weavers.

I think for a hunting rifle fixed scopes are the way to go...probably a 4 power or 6 power if you're in the open country and objectives over 40 are cumbersome and unnecessary...even 40's are stretching it.

I rarely, and I mean rarely, have any of my variables over 6x. Most of the time I leave them on 3-4. My 338 has a 2-7 burris and its always set on 2.

I think the gun rags have done a first class job of convincing people they "need" a variable scope...and I've been suckered right along with everyone else.

Anything beyond a 3-9 scope, even on a varmint rifle, is a waste of glass, power, and money.

Thanks for the input fellas. I looked through a few fixed 6X's today at Sportman's Warehouse...pretty darn impressive, especially the Leupold 6X42 and the Nikon version of same.

Buzz- The funny thing is it was an outdoor writer that got me to looking at the fixed scopes. 'Course he's from Missoula, so he can't be too bad, right? ;) I hear you on the price thing. I'm guessing 3-9X40 scopes are cheaper due to economies of scale.

Buzz is right on about the 'gun rags'...the tag of 'best' is for sale and changes from one expert review to the next...even by the same writer.

I have variables on several rifles and a Burris 6x on my 338. Most of the time, with the variables you keep it on one power anyway. I don't think I have ever turned up the power to take a shot while hunting.

If I'm using a variable I use the highest power, but then make sure that the POI doesn't change with changing powers. IMO, it does no good to be able to turn the power of a scope up/down if the bullet doesn't land in the same place.

I do like 1 pointer does. On my 338 I do not have the option of turning it up and just sight in with the fixed power. No big deal. I know what my limits are and don't try to be superman by taking shots I do not know if I can make.

i have a 4x-12x leupold, love it, had a 2-7x weaver on my old rifle and it was great too. No complaints on variables from me. Have a fixed 4x on my .223 and its great too.

I have a mixed bag so to speak... I have a fixed 4x on my whelen, a fixed 2.5 on my 375, a fixed 4x on my 270... I have variables on all the others. My dad has a 2.5x fixed on his 06 and has killed quite a number of elk streaching out to 300 yards or so with it... and I've seen him smoke yotes out in the 450 yard range with a fixed 6x on his 22-250!

I, like the rest of you generally keep my scopes set in the range of 4-6 depending on how far I think the shots will be etc. etc. I really don't have a prefrence between fixed or varaible, but for a rifle that I would be taking shots at large animals (elk and muleys) at normal ranges (inside 300 yards) I think either a 4 or a 6 would be perfect. I really like to dial them in if I have the time though, especially on longer shots, and especially on small critters like antelope. I've shot quite a number of unsuspecting elk with my scope turned up to 9x, just to make it easier on me to make the longer shots... I purchased a 4-12 for my 280 last year. I shot a deer and an elk last fall with it both set on 6x... The deer was about 90 yards and the elk was at a skosh over 300... IMO, the variabls are just as dependable/rugged as the fixed... If the POI changes between the power settings, send it back!

The weight savings is going be probalby less than 2oz too... I belive the fixed 6x40 that I looked at was about 11.5oz, and the 4-12x40 that I got weighes about 13oz.

I won't argue the versatility of a variable, but long ago I decided that I like the light weight, dependability and clean lines of a fixed power scope... Asthetics are important to me, and I feel that a lot of those big ol' large objective variable scopes are downright UGLY, at least on a hunting rifle...It's different if it's on a varmint rifle or possibly Buck Rogers' favorite rig for disintegrating lunar elk...

My two main hunting rigs, a M70 laminate .280 and a CZ 550 9.3 x 62, both wear fixed 4X M8 Leupolds.... I've shot game out to 400 yards and never felt I needed more magnification..

For an open country rifle, I think a Leupold fixed 6X would be a tough scope to beat...

Pygmy---you're right! The 6x Leupold can't be beat out to 300 yds. I've got the 33mm objective because I like the scope mounted as close to the bore as possible.

My new 7 Mag is going to wear the 6X M8 my wife picked up as a christmas present for me year before last. Last year I "borrowed" my buddies Mark 1 25/06. He even let me use the 6X Weaver he had on it too! Hell of a nice guy... ;) Seemed to work OK out to 448 yards... :eek: Then again, that's not what the deerskii's had to say.

Anything beyond a 3-9 scope, even on a varmint rifle, is a waste of glass, power, and money.
I guess I am 0 for 3. I have a 6.5x20 Nikon on my .280. It used to only shoot 3x9's, but after I sold my varmint rifle and this scope gathered dust for a few years, I decided to throw it on. I have never regretted it to this point and it has never cost me an animal. I guess there are other scopes (that I don't have) that would be more adequate, but this one works fine and is better on my gun than in the closet.

To each there own.

I have never had a problem with a variable power scope, but then again i dont buy junk like tasco, simmons, bushnell, or the chinese stuff for a long range gun.
I just recently bought a couple scopes made by Fujinon. They are a high end Japan optic company that dabbled in scopes for a short time and they didnt catch on so they stopped making them. I was comparing one the other day to my Leupold varyX3 and didnt see much difference. You can find them on closeouts on ebay and Sportsmans guide. A 3.5X10 runs for 179$ and was a 400$ unit before they discontinued them, worth a look.

Back