Bino recommendations please

mtmiller

You guys were so helpful to T-bone on his spotting scope question, maybe you can help me. I have pretty much trashed my Leupold Wind Rivers. They are still worthy of the pick-up binos, but I am thinking about a new set for hunting. I want to (have to) keep it under $500. Any recommendations?

I have read a little about Alpen Apex, but have not tried them yet. Here in hick-ville I don't have much to compare in the way of glass (or women, but that is another story) :eek:

Anyway, looking for free advise or free Leica's (preferably 10X50's). ;) :D

thanks....

check out the leupold pinnacles..my hunting partner has some... roof prism,very good optics
i have the 10x50 olympics...like them fine
sorry,fresh out of free leicas

My buddy has a set of Cabelas Alaskan Guides that are pretty descent. For the money I think they would be pretty tough to beat.

I have a pair of the Nikon Monarchs 10x42 ATB That for the money are excellent glass. Very clear and gather light very well in low light situations. Now if they had the Lieca Geovid BRF 10x42's when I bought my range finder and glass I think I would of went with the package deal as they sound like they are pretty nice. Plus having it all in the one unit is very nice specially if doing any bow hunting. JMO.

Miller, I got a pair of the 8x42 ATB's for my dad last year, and I would say that they are about on par with the windrivers I have, which I belive are the same as yours. I've heard great things about the Cabelas Alaskan Guide bino's too. You might play around on Ebay and find a used set of Swaro's, Kahles, or Lieca in your price range or maybe for about $100 more.

BTW, I only found on bow/rifle case for you, but they wanted $400 for it, and it weighed 37# empty...

Thanks guys.
Actually I had a pr. of Monarch 10x42, but some prick broke into my pick-up and took them (as well as a spotting scope, shot gun and Colombia coat). I had to replace the bino's and went with the Wind Rivers. Eventually they recovered my valuables and I had two pair of binos. Side by side, I preferred the Winds, but they were pretty close.

I would really like some European glass, but I need to save $$ for out-of-state (country) hunts. I will check out ebay, but am always apprehensive about used optics. I know, scared to buy used, but too cheap to buy new. :(

I have a set of Burris Signitures at work that are great, but I am curious about other glass as well at this point.

Thanks again.

BTW Bambi, I ordered a combo hard case last week from SKB. I think it will be the ticket.

Out of state (country) hunts! That must be a chitty problem to have. ;) Sounds like I'm going to forgoe the "spring" north of the border trip for a next january south of the border fiesta! :D

I'd seriously check out the Cab's... I have the Kahles. They are pretty nice, and Kyles Alaskan Guides aren't too far behind, IMO. Then again, how far is the nearest Cabelas from "Hickville"? :eek:

Check our Seeadler.. SeeadlerOptik-USA.com I think you'll find what you're looking for..

:cool:

Does Cabalas still carry those Ziess Classics for $650 or what ever they were? That was a pretty good bargin. also you might check out Bearbasin.com THey have specials sometimes. I got the ATB's for my dad for $160!

Bear Basin and Cabelas are pretty close in price range. Think they both carry the Zeiss Conquest series also. BBasin periodically has some pretty good specials posted on their site. Both have excellent tech staff to answer questions.

Mtmiller,
I have a pair of Pentax 10x42 WP DCF.........they are terrific
And within your budget.
WD

miller- I have the same binos as Wally, but mine are only 8X. Did you ever peek through them? They are discontinued, but the improved version Pentax DCF SP are a very good bino for the money. Last I checked they made your price limit. May want to do a search on the Hunting Optics board at 24hour or check out Better View Desired for reviews of different binos. The Better View site is for birders (right up your ally ;)), but has some good info on lots of binos.

300 RUM, new binos...you act like you have a hunting trip or two coming up!! :D

I second the Pentax, great glass for the money, and i own Nikon. I compared the two and the pentax won.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jjoner
Back