Idaho Goat and Sheep on he Rise.............

Moosie

Grand poopa
more mountain goat, bighorn sheep permits in 2005

Idaho hunters will get a shot at more permits for mountain goats and bighorn sheep in 2005. Statewide, the number of available mountain goat permits will increase from 40 to 57, while the number of bighorn sheep permits will increase from 74 to 80.

Most exciting to many hunters will be the addition of a second sheep permit in Unit 11. This hunt area has produced many of Idaho's biggest rams, and is home to Idaho's state record Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep. Last autumn, lottery tag winner Butch Kuflak took a huge ram from Unit 11 that scored near the all-time state record, and may have been the largest ram taken in North America in 2004. In 2003, 16-year-old Justin Armstrong of Pocatello was hunting unit 11 when he set the new all-time world record for a ram taken with a muzzle loading rifle.
Bighorn sheep permits were also increased in other hunt areas based on new population survey data. A new hunt with 1 permit will be offered in hunt area 37A in the northern Lemhi Range. Three permits were added in backcountry hunt area 27-1, and 2 permits were added in hunt area 27-3.

The large increase in mountain goat permits is based on improved population data. Flight surveys conducted in the Sawtooth, Boulder-White Clouds, and associated mountain ranges revealed mountain goats at near record-high population levels. Mountain goat herds have also increased in other areas of the state. As a result, several hunts that have been closed for many years will be re-opened to very limited harvest in 2005, and permits have been added to others.

New hunts for 2005 will be offered in hunt areas 27-2 (1 permit), 36-1 (4 permits), 37A (1 permit), 39-1 (2 permits), 43 (2 permits), and 67 (2 permits). In addition, permit numbers have been increased in hunt areas 36A-1, 36A-2, and 36A-4. Trophy species regulation brochures will be distributed statewide in March. Hunters can apply for controlled hunts for mountain goats, bighorn sheep and moose between April 1 and April 30. Successful applicants will be notified by June 10, 2005.

Well, I'll be dipped.....10 years ago I was telling F&G there were good numbers of goats in unit 39 and they said they were all killed off in the 70's.

Good news on the additional sheep too. Maybe it will take pressure off of my secret unit.....Hopefully the California sheep will bounce back.

i read somewhere that they are transplanting from california to idaho. I dont know about you but it sounds like these sheep are the best thing thats ever came out of california.lol

sage,

If they come from CA that would be surprising. From my limited knowledge, most of the transplanted california bighorn animals come from B.C. They are so common up there, people up there have them for lawn ornaments.

Got wind there were 60 Sheep transplanted from Montana. Deadeye270 might be able to tell a little more on this ?

It is good news, T-bone, I was talknig with the Regional F&G director about were I wanted to go deer hunting (You know the goat place :)) and besides being a good deer area he said they were counting goats in there. I'm guessing thats why they opened up a season. F&G Bioligists claim that some ofthe 36 units are well stocked with goats.

DID you read what Unit jsut opened a goat hunt T-bone :D You hav 3 guesses and the first 2 don't count. Guess who might give it a wirl :p

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back