Caribou Gear Tarp

Breaks Bull #3

sra61

bullemail1.jpg

I shot this bull on Nov. 9, 2004. I had hunted opening week with my brother and two sons, mainly looking for a buck for them, and antelopefor them also. I was sorely tempted constantly looking at elk. I saw many bulls that first week, but none I felt would go over 350 B&C. We got the boys' deer and one antelope, and headed home. I had another week to hunt, which was the third week of general season. I took on of the young guys from my office with me, he had never hunted on horseback, and never hunted the breaks. We started in an area that was remote and untouched, but saw no really big bulls, and then moved over to an area I had heard there was a big concentration of elk. The first morning in there, we immediately saw large numbers of elk. We saw one big bunch of at least 100 head that had a couple of big bulls in their midst, but they were a good 2 miles away, and the wind wasn't too good. We moved slowly down the ridge glassing as we went. There were elk all over the ridges around us. After an hour or so we spotted the big herd coming around the end of a ridge only half a mile east of us. If they would just continue on their present course, I would have a decent shot. It was the only way I could get a shot because the wind was swirling so bad. As luck would have it, they came right up the coulee towards us. The biggest bull in the bunch was a nice 6x6, and was obviously the "man" of the group. There must have been 20 other bulls. But this one big 6 was really pretty. I knew he wouldn't score too high, but he was so pretty I decided to take him. The group came on towards us, and I shot him at 404 yds.
I bought a new Rem. 700 BDL Stainless w/fiberglass stock in .300 Rem Ultra Mag. during the summer just for this occasion, and it performed beautifully.
I have also attached the pics of my sons' bucks and the young guy "Jeff" with the bucks they took.

Attachments

• bullemail#1.jpg
    bullemail#1.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 362
  • bullemail#2.jpg
    bullemail#2.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 332
  • Dans5point.jpg
    Dans5point.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 331
  • s4point.jpg
    s4point.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 352
  • s04buck.jpg
    s04buck.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 328
Which side of the lake were you hunting? Also by labeling this #3 does that mean you have drawn a rifle tag THREE TIMES?!!!

Oh yeah great bull and keep those boys hunting. Their smiles tell the whole story.

Nemont

DUDE !!!!!!!!!!!! Nice bull !!! Kudos on your Son too !!! Both Fine critters to be proud of.

When I see "Breaks Bull" I thought you shot a Bull with a Broken antler ;)

Yes that's 3 in 10 years!

I have to admit that I have indeed drawn three bull tags in three years. I sometimes feel bad, but it passes pretty quickly. There are pics of the others on page 4 of the trophy room under Steve's stuff. I have drawn all of my tags in unit 622 on the N. side of the river.
The boys' bucks did not come easily. We got onto many bucks before they finally put it all together. This old man's patience was getting thin, but those smiles were worth any amount of hard work! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back