Caribou Gear

wife's first elk and first time posting (pics)

WHT_MTNMAN

f61ef338.jpg

Many from AZ have seen this but just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. I have read for a while and haven't posted. My wife and I hunted during the week of Thanksgiving and she shot this bull.

We just got back from an Elk hunt and Thanksgiving family get together all rolled into one. My wife and my dad were drawn for the same late bull tag, I once again was accumulating a bonus point. I had a test on Monday morning and had to spend the weekend studying, (except for the time I was showing my brother five bucks, in which he didn’t shoot, that is entirely another story) Monday after my test we headed up to 3c were we were to spend the week hunting and enjoying family company. Monday afternoon after the three kids were dropped off at Grandma’s house we took off in search of that elusive late season bull. Long story short, we walked a lot, got sleeted and rained upon and only a couple elk no bulls.We hunted the morning up in some higher country I like, but then decided for the afternoon hunt, we would hunt in one of our favorite areas a little lower. All the snow melted before 3pm. We were walking ridges and spotted elk bedded down; my dad was a little further up the ridge and spooked a small bunch of cows and a bull. As I saw the bull moving along the ridge I had my wife set up on a branch and watch an opening in the cedars. As soon as the bull entered the clearing she shot, a little far back but he fell over about 50 feet later. I am so proud and excited and could not have had a more perfect time.

f61ef338.jpg

f61ef32d.jpg

Congratulations!

That's a great story. Congratulations to all of you! It looks like another antler in the background of the first picture?

Tom said:
It looks like another antler in the background of the first picture?

It was a 5 point shed we found AFTER she shot the elk but BEFORE we got to the elk. pretty good luck in that short time.

Really nice elk. Plus your wife isn't even doing that 'standing way behind the trophy' bit to make it look larger. ;) Looks like your freezer will be well stocked this winter.

For that matter gorgeous wife too. You're a lucky man all around!

A great bull and a good story. Welcome to Hunttalk.. Oh, and I am also from Arizona so I sympathize with the bonus point story. I've gathered a few of those myself.

:cool:

Thanks everyone, The bull was taken close to the home I grew up in, so my parents could watch the kids, it was also during the only break I get until Christmas. To tell you more about myself, i just started dental school in Mesa, AZ, which is strange being from a poor farming/ranching/logging town in north eastern AZ. I love the woods, spend as much time as I can, lately has been very limited. Have three wonderful children and a beautiful wife. I love big bulls and in the last couple of years have fallen in love with the little coues deer here in AZ. My father thinks I'm a traitor, he used to hunt alot for mulie's, not so much anymore due to the lack of funds and never getting drawn.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back