mtmiller MT 'lope hunt

mtmiller

Well I finally broke down and applied for an antelope rifle tag. Most of the hunting I see up here on public land/Block management is a circus with vehicles every where and 'lopes running around in circles. I applied for an area that has a huge area with foot traffic only, so I gave it a shot.

There were a few folks, but I was the only yea-hoo that decided to hike in and camp. The wind came up that evening and dirtied the sky, but here is a shot from camp. The butte in the background is Square Butte for those that know the area.
P1030826.sized.jpg

While scoping for goats, I located a decent mule deer about a half mile away, so I thought I would put the sneak on him and get a picture of him in his bed. Well I over shot the location when I came in the backside and he gave me the slip. I did get an action shot of this doe as she hit the road though.
P1030849.sized.jpg

Oh yeh, I was 'lope hunting, back to the story. At about 1:30, I was about to call it a day and head home. I changed my mind after remembering the hike out. I headed for a lookout point and was planning on spending the rest of the day dozing and glassing. On the way there, I saw a buck running across the flat. I knew that it didn't see me, so I dropped the pack and hauled ass to cut it off. Along the way, I extended the bipod and cranked up the scope. Just as I got to the ridge line, I doe bleated (I know, doe bleat?). What the hell, it worked and he stopped. I shot and took out the bottom of his heart. I little lower than where I had planned, but it did the trick and he was down after 50 yards of staggered running.

I only measured one horn and it was just over 13 1/4. I was happy with that since I was planning on shooting about anything for my first goat.
P1030887.sized.jpg

Since this was a foot traffic area only, I headed back to the truck and grabbed a frame pack. Who needs an ATV anyway. However, my legs are a bit sore today after the 1.5 mile pack out. :D
P1030898.sized.jpg

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back