PEAX Equipment

Tuna Trip - Last Call??

Amberjack

Directions
From Highway 5 South or highway 8 West
Exit at Rosecrans. Take Rosecrans 2.5 miles to Emerson Street and turn left. Continue on Emerson past Scott Street. H&M Landing is at 2803 Emerson Street.
From Highway 5 North
Exit at Hawthorne. Take Hawthorne to Harbor Drive, turn right. Turn left on Scott Street. At Emerson Street turn left and enter the parking lot.
Parking
Early arrival is recommended. Park in the "Paid Daily Parking" lot adjacent to the landing. If the lot is full paid parking is available at several hotels near the landing, or at an overflow lot on North Harbor Drive between the Holiday Inn and the Best Western Posado Inn.

Above are directions to the landing. I will be in the overflow lot at 6:00 or 6:30 PM. I use the lot to tailgate and set up reels and rods. Stop by and have a beer.

What to bring non –tackle:
1. Change of clothes, the clothes you will wear for actual fishing will get bloody and smelly.
2. They have hot showers available on board, bring toiletries and towels, they do not have linens.
3. Small hand towel, you will need this while fishing (it will get ruined.)
4. Pillow if desired.
5. Special diet items.
6. Seasick pills or patch. I fully recommend something. Nothing is worse than seasickness.
7. Cash- for fish filleting (I highly recommend) beer and soda (Don’t bring any they will confiscate it) and a tip.
8. Two pairs of shoes, and 4-5 pairs of socks. Your feet are going to get wet
9. 100 qt Ice chest.

TACKLE

1. Bring or rent at least two 20# rigs. Make sure you have new line. If you can bring more 20# rigs and at least one 40 lb rig in case we get into the big boys. Don’t worry about trolling rigs the boat has one or two you can use.
2. Package of at least 100 - 1/0 and 2/0 hooks. Mustads are fine and reasonable
3. Fighting Belt – a must have, nothing expensive Phx Fishing has them for about $15
4. ¼ oz rubber core sinkers at least 50 to 60. Or you can use ¼ bullets with swivels and fluorocarbon leaders.
5. A pair of cheap dikes. These are for cutting line. The saltwater will ruin them so that’s why a cheap pair.

The EVENT

You need to be at the dock by 8:00 pm. In front of H&M landing office, Jane Diamond (Owner) will be there to register and collect balances due. You will also need to pay a bunk fee and Mexican permit fee (all about $10)

At 9:00 Pm we will board. Rods and reels get put away (They have racks) and put you stuff in the staterooms. Next you will register again with one of the deckhands. If you want into the jackpot and coffee in the mornings it will cost about $12. They will assign you a number, remember that number.

We will depart and head over to the bait receiver too load up. After the leaving the bait receiver we will head south. The Captain will give a speech on our game plans.

Next morning at approx 5:00 am we will begin fishing. If the Capt has metered fish we will throw over either sardines or anchoveys. If not we will begin to troll. The first four (1-4 assigned numbers) will begin and a rotation will continue. While trolling if someone yells “hookup” The boat will stop and as it slides you will hook up a bait. If you are trying sardines, (bigger) then butt hook it with no weight, if you are using Anchovies you will need a sinker about 3-4 feet above the hook. Hook the chovey thru the eyes. You will toss out your bait out at the stern, with the reel out of gear. Keep your thumb on the spool lightly and let line out. We will be doing the tuna shuffle; you will be moving around the boat along the rail, this lets you keep your line in front of you. If the spool starts to sing count to 3 and throw it in gear and pull up on your rod. This helps set the hook. (If you are not bit in thirty seconds get new bait). Make sure your drag is set correctly. Once hooked up the fish will run. Let him it will wear him out; once he has slowed down or quit taking line it’s time to work. Pull up, wind down. Follow your fish. IF you are new to this let the deckhand know. He will be your best friend. Follow his instructions to the tee and you will land fish. IF the deck hand is not around and you see the fish below, yell Color, The deckhand will know it’s close to gaffing.

IF you are not hooked up and someone is they will either go over or under you, chasing fish. They have the right of way. If you become tangled with someone who is hooked up, either wait for the deckhand to untangle or cut your line. That is the reason for two or more 20# sticks. When you cut your line grab your other rig, bait and get you line in the water. When you are not on the troll re-rig your poles. When you land a fish the deckhand will cut your line and ask you for your number. They will put it in a gunnysack and then into the refrigerated fish hold. They will staple your number to your fishes gill.

This will go on all day like this. At approx 7:00 they will shut down. Dinner will be served (Food is served all day long and is included in your fare). With any hopes you will be dead tired from catching fish. The Deckhands will come around and ask if you want your fish filleted. I highly recommend this, they do an excellent job. Your fillets are put into zip lock bags for transporting home. Then the next morning at 5:00am the whole process starts all over again. We will depart at about 12:00 noon. Arrive at the dock at about 9:00 pm. On the way home you will settle with the boat. They will total up the fish fillet charges, sodas or beer you drink and pay them. Leave a tip if you can afford it, about $20-$50 is good. They will call your number in front of H&M landing and you will get your fish. They sell ice at the landing and heavy plastic garbage bags, all very reasonable.

If you need to book, book thru the owner for the nice staterooms. Here is her E-mail address.

[email protected]

Remember we are trip 18. Go to http://www.H&Mlanding.com Click on long range Baja trips, then on the Champ.

E-mail me if you have any more questions.

Any new recruits AJ? I can't wait! I can hear the reels screaming now!! Hey, Howbout our fish/bbq/Saguaro thing?

John

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back