Cut-throat fishing

CougarGuy

Do any of you guys ever do some cut-throat trout fishing? Here in the Pecos area they are only found in high elevations, are they any deferent in your country?

CougarGuy

couger,
cutt-throat trout are one of the best trout specias to catch. We have some here in az but they were very small 6"-8". but in washington they get huge 5lbs and up. Almost every creek and river on the western side had cut throat. The biggest ones were mostly caught where the creeks and or rivers ran into the ocean. I caught some big sea run cut-throats under the narrow's bridge (by gig harbor washington) next to where rivers flowed into the bay.
River fishing was good and lots of action. most That I caught were on a fly-rod but red panther martins(very very small ones) always brought in fish. If you have good luck in NM let me know I would like to fish for them again, I'm in AZ and love to trout fish. But I have been bit by the bass bug since the trout here are tiny.

Delw

Wow, I didn't know that they got that big. Around here aren't that big, I think the bigest that I've got was about nine or ten inches, but we have a lot of them in the lakes in high elevations.

CougarGuy

I fish the reservation Waters here in WY. The tribal G&F have done a great job and one place I like is Bull lake and crick. My biggest cut throat was 24 inches flie rod, and one friend has a 7.5 lber hanging on his wall. olefish

Cool, what lure have you guys had the best luck with? I have always used spinners and seemed to do alright with them. I have tried worms, but I never even got a bit.

CougarGuy

anywhere on the snake river in sept. with a 5wt. fly rod and a pocket full of "chernoble ants". big cuts all day long!!!!! i also like a "double humpy" for cuts!

olefish , 7.5 lbs WOW!!! now thats a cutthroat!! 24in aint nothing to ashamed of either my biggest is 22in. an i thought it was a pig cut!

------------------
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison
fef8b783.gif.orig.gif

The Res waters I fish have several types of trout IE lake, rainbow, brown, cutthroat and splake. The biggest fish I have caught are the lakers mine about 17lbs which is not big for the lake over 40lbs, rainbows to 10 lbs, browns over 12lbs and cuts over 7lbs. The cuts I mostly catch on flies in July-Sept. We like hoopers, humpys, bead headed nymph, and large nymphs. I like to jig for the lakers but if I have to I will trole. olefish

Olefish,
last year i caught two 20in cuts on a "stonefly" pattern ,those and hoppers in sept. is alot of fun. I also tried a scud dropper off a parachute adams and hung a huge brown and fought that fish for a least twenty minutes for him to run me into some real fast water and i couldnt turn him after that and lost'em!!!!
ive caught decent bows and browns but still looking for a big "cut" maybe one day!!

is the fishing out west anywhere near as good in the spring as it is in the fall ???? or are the river too dirty ???

------------------

fef8b783.gif.orig.gif

Bull lake crick is good as long as it is not hard water, frozen. Below the dam is mostly Rainbows and browns, with a few cuts and lake trout. The lake has everything and the big cuts I have seen were above the lake but again it is mostly rainbow and browns. This is clear water all the time but the upper is close till June first. We use small bead headed nymp as a dropper below lots of differnt types of dries and large nymp. We love the fly fishing but those big lakers make me give up some of my time. I want one over 40 inches because thats when they become real pigs.olefish

We catch 10-16 inch cutts here in Idaho over in no tellum hole. For reallies tho, the last time I told, my last best spot got hammered. But I'd take any one here blindfolded of course to my new spot.
Chris

------------------
shooter2.gif
deer2.gif

olefish, mtranch
do you guys typically get the really big cuts out of the lakes ???? i dont think ive ever seen a really big one caught in the rivers ???? maybe they do i dont know but it seems like the biggest ive seen is about 24-28 in from a river. Iv seen one huge one mounted that came from jackson lake but thats about it!

mtranch : an older wiser man i used fish tourney with told me this "TIGHT LIPS = TIGHT LINES" i finally figured it out what he was talking about, seems you have too!! GOOD LUCK !!!!
lets see some pics of these big cuts!!!!

------------------

fef8b783.gif.orig.gif

DKO,
I think your correct the smaller ones are in the rivers, at least thats what I have seen. The mouth of the rivers bye the sea and those that flow in and out of lakes are where I caught by biggest ones.

I'm not sure of this is right but I belive the world record was like 22 lbs from a lake and 30+ from the ocean. LIke I said i'm not sure if this is correct.

Delw

DKO....The bigger ones are in the lakes here in the 18-25" size range. The river fish are smaller but more plentiful here. Not all lakes have cutts just a few that are kinda out of the way.
Chris

------------------
shooter2.gif
deer2.gif

Well I would guess all of you are right that most big cuts and other trout come from the lakes, better food and not fight moving water I would guess. I landed a brown that was tagged 24 years ago from the laramie river and it had grown 3 inches in 2 years. I have a picture of a 28" brown from that same river, wonder how old he was? I fish a private pond for brooks and rainbows, 8 inch fish (rainbow) palnted in the fall will be 14 to 16 inches by the next fall. The brook trout will be bigger around than long with the biggest about 8lbs that I know of. It all comes down to food and how much of it there is for them to stuff themselves with. There is a problem with such a good food sorce though they do not have to take your fly. olefish

Back