Sand Bass

Fatman

Anyone fish for them? I live for the spring run and wading the windy points for them in the fall. I got my brother inlaw and nephew into fishing for them in the spring and now I never get any time to fish for them by myself.

Surely this is not just an Ok. and Missouri thing. Sand Bass are the little brothers of stripers and the male side of the hybrid striper (wipers), a little bigger than the yellow bass. Hybrids are called wipers because they tend to wipe tackle out when they hit. When crossed with a striper the Sandy produces one of the meanest fighting fish there ever was, a 10 lb. hybrid will have a tail as broad as a 20 lb. striper. Spawn for sandies is in the spring time (around the first to the middle of April in Ok.) when they move up the rivers from lakes. During the run you can hardly find a gravel bar to fish that does not have boats on it. Not unusual to catch 100 - 150 before noon (2 - 3 lb. range). I usually have blisters one my rod hand from fighting them during the run. They are good eating if you cut the strip of red meat out of them. I have taken the same week for vacation to chase them in the spring for the last 27 years. In the fall they roam the windy points and banks destroying the shad, during this time they will have more meat than in the spring since they are building fat for the winter and not producing eggs. About the only lure I use is a 1/16th ounce chartreuse road runner with a hammered gold blade and a red head. Help me out Okies if you fish for them. Surely Steve from the Elk forum has fished for them, it is almost an sacred institution here.

Fatman thats like some fun fishing.We get the Hybrid Strippers down here that the FG&F Created many years ago.They do not breed here and grow to about 8pounds they say.I have caught them 10-12 pounds and have seen them in local springs as big as canoes.They are decent to eat but not great IMO.Ihave never caught a true Stripe Bass.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back