sika hunt

kiwi hunta

Fresh snow today to 300ft, but goin for a look to see if the sika are out of the heavy bush, any takers bout 8 hrs required. ;)

Got my one day off in 12 from work left early only 15 minute drive, had to wait for ranger to get up to unlock gate to carpark 40 minutes wasted right off,hard slog over saddle into Eastern hutt valley.fresh deer poop on top amongst the tea tree, valley was as cold as charity stayed on true right for an hour some fresh sign, then angled up a long ridge to about 1800feet lot more sign among the black beech where deer are wintering and comming out of the dirty little guts to sun themselves, wind was all ova the place,stopped for a smoke and immeadiatly a hind barked from behind me, I eased around a large rimu and could see her ears flicking amongst the mingi mingi down behind a deadfall aha I thought u little shite your'e mine,I slowly eased one up the spout and took another step and went straight thru the moss and in a hole up to my crotch,I looked up and saw three of the little devils leaping off the ridge and goin for gold,I dropped down to the river crossed and headed up other the side ,after two hours of bush stalking and hearing or seeing nothing it was turnaround and 3 hours back over the saddle to the car, 5 minutes from carpark and not even concentrating a bloody red spiker trotted out the creek we looked at each other and then he was gone crash crash thru the scrub,so kev you woulda enjoyed it only another 9 days work and I get another day off :rolleyes:

That's cool Jeff. At least you were in the middle of them..That's exciting all in itself... :D

Or sika,rusa or sambar; fallow and whitetails are does and wapiti are cows the three hinds were sika the little fat spiker was a red.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back