FELLOW Hunt "SWAPPERS"

Moosie

Grand poopa
As most of you know, I've had a few discussions with the Licensing board here in Idaho about the LEGALITY of "SWAP" hunting. After Several meetings and an Official board meeting, We came to an Understanding...

Here is the Link to The Minutes of the meeting:

*LINK*

It is on the bottom of the 3rd page (And top of 4th page starting out With my name in BOLD.... OSCAR Williamson, ....

I have also received a letter from Executive Director Dean Sangrey (Who was extremely helpful in expediting the outcome of the situation) that goes as follows.

Dear Mr. Williamson,
I have received and reviewed your letter of June 29, 2001 regarding hunt swapping. The following language that was developed at your meeting with the Board should suffice for assistance with your website in order to avoid the appearance of outfitting or a person finding themselves in an outfitting situation:

In general, swapping outdoor opportunities without financial gain or other compensation by the participants is legal. When financial gain or compensation becomes part of the transaction, you may be getting involved in unlawful outfitting. If you have any questions regarding outfitting, please contact your state licensing board. The web page link for the State of Idaho Outfitters and Guides Licensing Board for the exact Idaho laws and rules are: http://www.state.id.us/oglb/oglbhome.htm.

You are correct in that it is not the intent of the board to interfere in sharing or swapping outdoor opportunities between private individuals, so long as the parties do not engage in outfitting or guiding and so long as there is no financial gain or other consideration exchange between the parties. We have discussed this issue at length with you, and I believe that with the guidelines that the Board has provided it is clear to you what constitutes outfitted opportunities and what is shared or swapped opportunity. I have enclosed a copy of those guidelines for your assistance.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. If you have questions, Please contact me at the above number.

Sincerely, DEAN SANGREY

Now, here is the list that CONSTITUES “OUTFITTED TRIPS”

They basically gave me an Internal list, one which states “No advertising on the Internet”. This is Just and Internal list and they use it for a guideline to see if they need to follow up on it. In general Swapping is legal.

Here is what they are Basically trying to Avoid. Situation: I advertise for an Elk/Deer hunt and Say that if I get you one We will “SQUARE UP” after the deal is made. So you will give me Cash or something of Value in exchange for the hunt ….. If You want to Take me hunting in your State and We split the costs here and there… No harm done….

Now, If anyone has any questions please Call the licensing board for Clarification. I have only met with the Idaho Licensing board so check your local State for your rules.

Way to go Oscar, thanks for the clairfication. I read ours a few days ago and if they wanted to get down to the nitty gritty on it, They could issue you a ticket for taking your kid hunting (if only your kid drew a tag)... another example if danr got drawn and I didnt but was invite to go on the hunt with him I could get a ticket.. However I dont think the would do taht but you never know anymore.....
I also see you had some good people helping you in that matter. I applaud them as well....When your all done with ithaca send him down here I need some help on changing a few stupid laws also...

Delw

hmmm ok...try this one... oscar goes on a elk hunt.. kills big bull 10 miles into the back country...calls roper to bring the ponys up to help get elk out... buys roper 20 beers...(1 per mile in and out) :D for all the trouble....well maybe a case just to keep it even.....outfitting????

Okay Oscar...I started my trek to find out what little old Ohio says about hunt swapping. Fired off a email. Will call my district office Tuesday since I already have another question for em.

Moosie, Congratulations! You did a great job! It's never easy to get a government agency to make a change.

I think it should be mentioned that Mike Best, the Education/Law Enforcement Supervisor of the Licensing Board was very helpful. Mike, by the way, is an old turkey hunting buddy of mine and GREAT with a wingbone call.

I'm still a little confused by the wording. It states:

"...so long as the parties do not engage in outfitting or guiding and so long as there is no financial gain or other consideration exchange between the parties."

So, no "guiding" can take place. But, any hunt swap would include guiding. If someone comes from Iowa to hunt, I would go with them to guide them to the game. According to these guidelines, this could be a problem.

Am I missing the boat?

kidneystone

Ithica, Mike Best was Helpfull, My bad for not stating that. A lot more helped to Which names I didn't mension. I want to thank you for all your help to, I'm just the BAG OF WIND, if you will, And the one that tells the opposing team (Jsut kidding on that statement) to kiss my butt ;) Ithica was the one to ralley the troops and tell me who to contact to Get things done. KUdos to ya !!!!!

Let me tell you a little more Roper, If I buy you 24 beer (Because it's easier then just 20 ;) pluss I need to drink some too, and You lovely wife will be along so We'll buy 48... But your friends Like to ride so .... OK It's a Kegger now.... Hehe) ANYWAYS, ~ Technically You are "GAINING" something because You are being reimursed for your time. They would never Site you or me because I think We could Bribe them with some of that beer depending on the type it was , But technically it isn't legal unless we split the cost. We can Use your Horses and I'm not gaining because they fall under the Depreciation value.... :D :D

Seriously though, There is a NEW IDaho law that lets ME as a Hunter HIRE you as a "PACKER" to get my game out. You can't help me do any of the Work or something like that.... Ithica Mr Law man, What statue does that fall under, I'll look it up next week and Do a Cut and PAste in here. SO, Legally I can PAy you in Cash, Check Money order.... OR BEER :D :D

Worthless, Thank for looking bud !!!

Kidneystone, The State Doesn't prohibit YOu guiding ME in YOUR state. It doesn't want me "GUIDING" you in MY state. They want it to be more of a 1 on one. What they are trying to keep me from doing is Bring somepeople in, Hire friends to Take you out, And you PAying me under the table for My time. If I have a Tag then It's not "GUIDING" it's just Friends going hunting together. ALL Legal. I brought up the Senerio about DKO coming this year and if I filled my TAG before he got here. They said that would be OK because we were still hunting together and Had that planned and I wasn't getting PAID for Anything. All costs he encounters He takes Care of And I take care of mine.

Does that clear anything up ?~?~?~ Post further Questions her if you want. I will Notify DEAN Sangry or Mike BEst and We can Have a POW WOW Session to clear anything up. Like Ithica (BURKE) says. These gentlemen are happy to Help us And don't want to interfere in shareing or swapping outdooe activities, Which in this case is Hunting !~!~!~!

well the answer is clear now... we need to get my boys to do the packin because we will be too snockered to get anything done :D :D and they don`t drink..(i hope) so we won`t have to split there share :D :D

Roper..... Are you going to be up nex week ?~?~~? I got the Florida boys ready to Shoot something and I don't wanto show off by carrying 2 elk out on my back :D :D

From what I was told on the phone today it is legal in Ohio to swap hunts. I will do some double checking anyways. You know how one will say one thing and then another will say something completely differant.

couldn`t get that week off.(something about being in the middle of some hunting season called archery??) anyhow no time :( :( hope ya have to deal with a packout problem :D :D .. good luck... if ya get in a spot give me a ring..

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back