Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

21 and older

Gunner46

This will take some prep time and planning but in the long run you'll do yourself well.

Ya need to get a 5 gallon plastic bucket. Make sure it's clean.. bacteria clean, at least on the inside, and a loose fitting lid.

Get 4 gal. of clean, un-cityfied, chloriine-free water.

5 pounds sugar

3 of them small packs of Fleishman's yeast, for baking stuff.

Now, if you want to make wine:

Get 4 of them big frozen fruity concentrate cans. (Grape, whatever)

If you just want to make shine, you'll need about:

5 pounds of potato's or corn, mashed. (Yams = 4#)

Put the water, all the yeast, all the other stuf ('cept the sugar) in the bucket. Pour in 1 pound of sugar. set aside in a cool place, 70 degrees is good, but keep it constant. Keep it loosley covered.

About every 3-5 days put a 1/2 cup of sugar in. Watch it. If it's still a bubblin' good hold off till it subsides, then put the sugar in.

In about 3 weeks, or so, it will stop fizzing when you put the sugar in. STOP. Its done.

For wine, drain off the top portion , up till you get down to the dreges. Bottle, cap loosley, and put in the frig. This will kill any further gas formation. It's ready to drink now, and can be kept in the frig for a couple monthes.

For shine, or if the wine ever starts to smell like vinager!:

This is a delicate process, so be careful. We're going to evaporate off the good stuff and leave the mix behind.

Ya can do it through a bucnh of processes, and spend a bunch of bucks along the way, but the basic primis is...

Alochol boils off at a lower temp than water, so you just need to get it up the a vapor point, and not boiling.

Figure out a way to catch the vapors and collect them back into a container.

We used to have 4 or 5 buckets going at a time in college, and the stuff that started to go to vinager got vapored off, and the pure grain got put in the wine! 120 proof VINO

" Here, Honey, have another glass.............."
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-25-2004 16:49: Message edited by: Gunner46 ]</font>

For distillation get an old pressure cooker and pull the sealing ring out and leave her loos when you cook off your mash. Go down to Lowes and get yourself about six feet of 3/8 inch copper "waterline". make yourself a condensation coil like this: At the two foot mark on the tube make a soft curving loop back toward the start point of 180 degrees. This will give you something like this:

I^I
I I____________ Now bend the tube back up again toward the top. At about the 6 inch mark make your coil ending with a down spout and you got it! Solder the start point to the pressure relief point on top of the pressure cooker drop the down spout in some kind of collection vessle and cook her off!!
biggrin.gif

P.S. Don't use orange juice!! Tastes OK but looks like a bucket of semen!
eek.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-25-2004 07:20: Message edited by: pawclaws ]</font>

We had a 1 liter beaker with a vented rubber stopper. Surgical tubing from the beaker to a 2 foot coil of 3/8" copper tubing, which dripped straight into our bottle. A small muffin fan cooled the coil. Ran the whole thing on the kitchen stove.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-25-2004 16:48: Message edited by: Gunner46 ]</font>

LOL@Garman!!
biggrin.gif
You guys ought to stop by WAGS Wagner and Griswold Society. The Pres DR. Gregg Stahl says he has a fifty gallon setup for wine and microbrews beer too.
biggrin.gif

I JUst god DoNe tapking offf a nu batdch of the breuu. I thunk it cam owt pruttii d**m guud.

Party at mi Plac !!!

I love beer! They used to say I could stop at the bar with the light a block away just turned red and down three mugs before it turned green! :eek: Damned diabetes!! :mad:

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back