3 Large smoked ham hocks
3 large white onions, pared and coursly diced
4 medium chile peppers with seeds and veins removed and finely diced
20 turns of the black pepper mill
3 Tablespoons garlic powder
2 Tablespoons of course sea salt
1 to 1 and 1/2 Tablespoons chile powder
1 Tablespoon lemon juice or the juice of one lemon
*1 Tablespoon paprika (may not be needed)

Directions:
Wash and pick over the beans in a large pan. Drain the water at least three times. Cover with fresh cold water by about two inches and allow to soak overnight. Drain the water and place in a large pot (I use a number 12 Dutch oven or Chuck Wagon.)
Add 5 quarts of fresh cold water to the pot and over high heat bring to a simmer. Takes quite a while. While waiting add the ham hocks to the water. After the water is simmering partially cover and reduce the heat to medium to maintain the simmer for about two hours or until the beans are getting tender. Remove the ham hocks and trim the meat from the bone. Return the meat to the pot along with the tomatoes, and two thirds of the onions and half of the chile peppers.
Allow the pot to continue cooking until the onions are clear and the chile peppers are tender. Add all of the seasonings and mix in well. After ten minutes taste test and adjust seasonings. The black water should have become a nice rich brown by this time. If not add a half Tablespoon more chile powder along with a Tablespoon of *paprika. Adjust seasoning to taste. Serve with cornbread or cathead biscuits nicely buttered, and the remaining raw onion and chile peppers as garnish.
biggrin.gif
This is one of the really really good ones guys and makes campouts a real treasure. To cook out of doors dig your bean hole out so you have a hold about six inches begger around than the radius and height of your pot. Fill it with wood and burn to coals. Dig it out and embed your oven in a surround of about three inches coals and the same in earth and just forget it overnight or start it in the early AM (0400) and allow to cook for 12 hours or so without disturbing. You can use charcoal to maintain about a 300 degree temperature to cook above ground if you wish either in a baking or boiling configuration.

Sssshhhhhhhhhh.......
shhh.gif
Now this is top secret; you don't want to fork the orange, but; if you bake them in a bean hole you can fork an onion. Peel him and stick him right in the dead center middle on top of the beans just after you get all that other good stuff in there and before you put on the lid and bury it! Use a big sweet one!!
shhh.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-13-2004 15:15: Message edited by: pawclaws ]</font>

I just want to go on record as saying that I make all my recipes myself. I have never allowed anyone, not even Chuck to cook for me!!!!

A #12 Dutch oven would be a 'Large Stew Pot' ???

A number 12 Dutch oven is indeed a large stew pot; quite large!! Elke it is equal to one helmet complete with metal chin strap and armored cod piece!
biggrin.gif
Who the hell is Chuck??
confused.gif

I have a number 12 Chuck Wagon! Biggest one I got. Think it is a Lodge. Also got this humongous 15 inch cast iron skillet with lid that my good buddy got for me one Christmas a couple year ago!
biggrin.gif
Ya ought to see it! Man, it cooks up a great turduchen!!
biggrin.gif

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back