MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Instructions

Gunner46

Jeez, I thought y'all were experienced outdoorsmen!
Guess I'll have ta learn ya sump'in 'bout cookin.

Mearsures:

Dry Ingredients:

Pinch/ Scmidgen- Pour 'whatever' into yer palm and use yer thumb and first two fingers to pinch up some.

Sprinkle/Dab/Tad- Use all yer fingers and thumb, scoop up some and 'Sprinkle". ( 4 pinches)

Palm Full- 3 Sprinkles

Fist Full- 2 Palms

Scoop – both hands cupped togather and full, even with the tops of yer hands.

BIG Scoop- As much as you can Scoop up

Wet Ingredients:

Squirt- "bout the same as the discharge from a kids ".25 Cal" squirt gun.

Splash- 4 Squirts, or just tip the bottle down enough to get some out and 'splash' the top of the food.

Cup- Standard metal/ baked porcelin coffee cup.

Canteen Cup- Standard Military issue canteen cup, 3 cups

Pot -4 canteen cups

Utensils;

Pot- Holds a little less than a helmet ful of water

Big Pot- 2 full helmets of water

Stew Pot- 2 big Pots

Big Stew Pot- 2 Stew Pots

Spoon- Spoon
Knife- Knife
Fork-Fork

Lid- Sump'in to cover yer Pot/Pan/Skillet

Pan/Skillet- anything to fry with over a fire.
Small- pancake size
Large- Plate size
Big- Hub Cap size

OK, Think ya got the basics know?

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-09-2004 16:28: Message edited by: Gunner46 ]</font>

So a big stew pot would be 8 helmets of water. How many you feeding with the stew from that pot?
eek.gif

I'd kind of like to know how much they are getting for a "lid" in your neck of the woods.
rolleyes.gif

When my brother and I come home from hunting, and start cookin', the whole d**n neighborhood usually shows up! 15-20 is about norm.

Sure seems strange to me, but the same ones that shot their mouths off 'bout us hurting Bambi or Porky are usualy the same ones in line for thirds!
rolleyes.gif

Gunner you got to sit them down and read them the story of the Little Red Hen!
biggrin.gif

A little something I found Gunner!
biggrin.gif

Prepared by
Captain L.R. Holbrook , commissary

Color Sargeant Patrick Dunne ,instructor of cooks

Fifth U.S. Cavalry
Fort Huachuca, Arizona
July 15, 1904

Wash 7 quarts of beans; place 2 pounds of bacon (diced) and one large onion in a large camp-kettle; pour in the beans and cover with a half pint of molasses; fill the kettle with water and salt to taste. Set on hottest part of stove and let come to a boil; remove from range and place in the oven.

COOKING BEANS IN THE FIELD
47. Beans form a large part of the soldiers' diet in the field; aside from being very nutritious,they are well liked by the men.... Prepare the beans in the same manner you would if you were going to bake them in the Army Range in garrison; dig a trench about 6 inches deeper than the camp-kettle used and 6 inches wider, and long enough to give 6 inches between kettles and on the ends: build a good fire in the trench and let it burn to coals; take out two-thirds of the coals-- permitting one third to remain in the trench; place the camp-kettles in the trench. resting on the coals-- lids to be placed on the kettles; fill in the space between kettles and at the ends with coals and earth--placing the hot coals next to the kettles; fill in well and cover the kettles with 3 inches of coals and 5 inches of earth.

Suppose this to have been done about 7 o'clock in the evening. The same cook who placed the kettles in the trench and covered them should dig them out in the morning, as he will understand how the lids are set and there will be less danger of getting dirt in the kettles.

Sufficient beans should be baked for breakfast and lunch. Those for lunch should be issued out to the men to be carried in the individual mess-kits. (HEY ,the first MRE's were baked beans!). Upon arrival in camp, it is only necessary to make the coffee and issue out sliced corned beef and bread.
JR

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back