Barbecued Wild Hog Sandwiches

Calif. Hunter

In anticipation of a successful hunt this weekend ( :D ) here is one way I like wild pig:

1 boned shoulder or rump roast
1 cup of water
2 tablespoons Liquid Smoke
Garlic Powder,black pepper and Seasoned Salt

Put the liquid smoke and water in a roaster with a tight lid and stir. Put the roast in the roaster, and season. Cover and place in a 250 - 300 degree oven for 4 or 5 hours or until the meat falls apart if you try to pick it up with a fork.

Mix one bottle of barbecue sauce with one cup of brown sugar and a half cup of vinegar. (Just about any brand of sauce works and with the sugar and vinegar, you don't need a high-priced brand!) Adjust the amount of sauce according to how runny you like your sandwiches.

Remove the pan from the oven, drain most of the liquid, shred up the pork and mix in the sauce, heating it up either on the top of the stove or in the oven. Serve on toasted rolls or buns, along with some potato salad or cole slaw and beans (or corn on the cob.)
It'll make any gathering a success.

That sounds good. Mail me one also please

It's also good leaving out the barbecue sauce - remove the meat from the roaster, place the roaster on top of a burner on the stove and heat the juice/liquid to a boil. Add a tablespoon or two of flour (I usually mix the flour with a little water in a shaker bottle to make a paste and to avoid lumps) and stir it in. Let it thicken to a nice gravy (adding more flour if needed), season to taste and serve with/over rice, noodles or mashed potatoes. It makes a nice, smoky flavored gravy.

There IS still time and room for others to join us this weekend...!!! :D :D

Back