MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

question???????????

Now that thumper is back and there seems to be some new memebers and spring bear is over I now have some time to post a question of the ages for the southern boys and da Moose. I have seen thumper and others on different forums use the word "COONASS", now living my life in the northwest I have never heard the word or know the meaning so now I look for help. I know no one that speaks redneck, we don`t marry our cousins, decorate with hub caps or I have yet to see tires on the roofs of trailer houses, I once saw a trailer house with a confederate flag for a window blind and thought for sure I had a redneck which to pose my question to but the hound dog chained to the front step scared me off, I was leaving when a toothless woman came out in a white/yellow tee shirt smoking a cig and drinking a cheap beer I ask her if her husband was home , she said he wasn`t home from the bar yet (it was 10:00 am) but said her brother/husband would be home at 12:00 (he never miss Jerry Springer most guests are his relation),,,,,,,, anyway back to the original question,,,,,,,,,COONASS,,,,,,,,,,,now is this something you have like: Damn after 4 days of hunting Moosie has COONASS,,,,or is it My Danny Boy looks like a COONASS,,,,or is it Calli Hunter is a COONASS,,,and if that is the correct usage WHAT THE HELL IS COONASS?

A coonass is Someone that would chop you up and String you up on a Trout line if you mes with the Crab traps in the Back Bayou's
wink.gif

~~~

The origin of the term is said to have come from the French word "conasse". During the Second World War, many Cajun men served in the armed forces. When in France, many of the French heard the Cajuns speaking in a French that was both very old and in a French that had some very odd words. The Frenchmen called the Cajuns "conasse" which translates to a very low-grade prostitute. I would think this comes from the fact that, although they spoke a form of French, the Cajuns weren't real Frenchmen.

Of course, the "American" servicemen heard "conasse" as "CoonAss". In a world where "RedNeck" is heard often, "CoonAss" fits right in. Just like RedNeck, it wasn't originally used as a term of endearment. But many Cajuns carry it as a description of themselves as good as any other. In Louisiana, you can find vehicles with bumper stickers reading "Registered CoonAss" or "I'm a CoonAss, Me!" Wide spread use came about during the oil boom in Louisiana during the 60's and 70's.

I lived In Louisiana for 4 years and have coonASS blood in me and Claim to be part CoonASS. It's not as much a word as a lifestyle. Shrimp gumbo and Boudan (SP?) and sucking the head off a crawfish....

Hey 280... Speaking of "looser hunters", How'd your spring bear hunt go ?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> I was leaving when a toothless woman came out in a white/yellow tee shirt smoking a cig and drinking a cheap beer I ask her <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So your Wife didn't recognise you because she was Drunk too, eh ?
elkgrin.gif

Is it the same as the word "Badass" that we use here in the Midwest?

I think anyone who would capitalize "RedNeck" and "CoonAss" is a coonass. And Moosie, if you're going to speak like a southern gentleman it's "trot line," not "trout line."
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

280, A coonass is about a inch under his tail.
Moosie, I spent some time down there and them ol boys give me a tshirt that said honorary coonass. I love that Boudin sausage, and etoufee (sp)Crawdads, redbeans and rice. Just too dang hot.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 07-08-2003 20:02: Message edited by: Whiskers ]</font>

.280 I guess you could be considered a coonasse (Idiot).

Actually, trying to educate an ignorant personage such as yourself is a tiresome task, but I'll try.

Even though some of the most racist stories of how "coonass" originated make good copy, they are far from the fact and miss why the original Cajuns, Arcadians, or Creole descendents take pride in the name. Oh, by the way, Cajuns are a federally protected national minority and are afforded "affirmative action" status.

Many modern wannabes claim to be of Cajun (read Creole, because of the racial mixing in the bayous) ancestry.

Fact is, coonass is a bastardization of an Atakapa-Ishak Indian term for themselves pronounced Kon Nesh or Kon Nash, meaning a tough tree, a durable tree, a strong tree. (possibly from trees that survived severe hurricanes and were admired for their toughness.) In time, that Indian nickname among the cajuns, who intermarried and lived with these Indians, devolved into the contrieved, totally unrelated "coonass." A name that has never been shunned by those who know and remember it's origin.

I hear yer not a CoonAss untill you swim around a houseboat and come Face to face with a Watermoccasin, Fall INTO the Bayou in Jan with rubber boots on, or can pull a crab off the Bayou floor with a worm and scoop it up with a net before it realizes what you're doing. I also think you need to fill up a Dumpster with water, let the days catch of Catfish in it and bring the smaller one home and put it in the 20 Gal aquarium.

If you've taken the boat out shining GAters at 1:00AM, and hung a sheet in your boat and shined a light on it to have fish jump in your boat... and tried to catch up with a herd of deer crossing the bayou (Smiming) and wearing Snake proof boots while chasing swamp bunnies with the 4.10 after a Southern storm because they like to climb up on high things and dry off.

I think you need to know how to set trout (Trot
wink.gif
) lines, keep Waterlillies out of duck blinds, and know how to run a AIR boat. Knowing that the Crawfish climb the bank to the roads after a storm and gonig out and Colecting 4 - 5 gal buckets to have a crawfish boil and know were the best place is to catch gar fish.

Knowing what a Cypriss knee is and owning a table or two made out of it.

Visiting Avery Island werre Tabasco is made. And visiting the Budas around there. Knowing that an Christmas tree is actually a oilpipeline sticking out of the ground and that no mater how nice you hairspray your hair for a dance with the 110% humitity it goes flat within 5 mins of coming out of the bathroom.

I'm not sure if ALL cajans do that or know that stuff.... but I know between 5-9 years old while I lived there I did
biggrin.gif

moosie I shot a nice black bear,,,6'2 nose to tail, 6' 4'' paw to paw skull roughed at 18 11/16, not my biggest but had a perfect hide, and no the womans smoking the cig was your wife,,,see you are the one with all the redneck knowledge,,,how was Jerry Springer?

I won't go that far... But It's not like calling a "AFRICAN American" the N word.. If thats what~yer wondering
cool.gif

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back