Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Lyman Super Moly Coating?

brokfut

I have a Lyman 600 tumbler and want to use some of the moly coating for my bullets. Does anyone have experience with coating their own bullets with the powder and tumbler? I'm thinking I might get about the same velocities with less pressure (read that "recoil") with the moly coated bullets. Any advice or other thoughts?

brokfut, I coat bullets in my tumbler. I do have some advice for you. First, find a old vitamin bottle or some thing like that to put about 25 to 50 bullets in it depending on the size bullets. Along with the bullets put in a small amount of moly powder if you have some steel ball bearings put them in there too). Put inside your tumbler with the corncob media to absorb the shock. Tumble for about 45 min. to an hour and then check and see how they look. Don't open the pill bottle right away as the moly will be released in the air. I will post a pick of my set-up later today if you want to see it.

Jude
wink.gif

I've found that using some degreaser REALLY helps in getting a good coat on the bullets. I use a method similar to Jude's. Another tip, tap the lid shut! I had one come open and had a big mess. Don't do this over carpet, as it is a big PITA to get out.

brokfut,

I am curious who told you that your not going to decrease your velocity using moly coated bullets.

I have been using moly coated and Dansak (similar) coated bullets for about 5 years now. I Dansak coat my own. If memory serves me correctly I use 4 grains of powder for every 2lbs of bullets. I dump the ball bearings (which come with the Dansak) and bullets in the tumbler, add the powder, turn it on for 15 to 20 minutes - Done. Its quite simple, just noisy as all get out, lol.

I am still not sure if moly (dansak) coated bullets are better or not. I first went to moly coated bullets to reduce copper fouling but am not sure if copper fouling or moly fouling is better.

Since I now make my own bullets I stopped coating bullets all together and my Groove Bullets reduce copper fouling so much that I doubt I will ever go back to coated bullets.

Using coated bullets you will see a decrease in velocities.

Hope this helps,

Don
smile.gif

Shaky,
Most of what I know about moly coating bullets come from articals like this one.

http://www.zediker.com/articles/mca.pdf

I'm looking for performance from proven bullet design with any advantage that I can add to the equation.

Being, however, ignorant on the subject, I though it wise to consult directly with more informed persons to confirm or refute the information that I have gotten from other sources. Your input is appreciated. Thanks
Jack

brokfut, I agree with Shaky on several of his comments. First, if you are using a given load and change out only the bullets for moly coated bullets, I've found that YES you do loose speed and in most cases accuracy. And I agree also with him that I'm not sure which is worse moly fouling or copper fouling, I sorta think moly fouling is worse.

In rubbing elbows with some long range wildcat shooters they have showed me that they have got the speed and accuracy back by #1) Cleaning the barrel of ALL fouling, then using one of the following 3 methods and Moly coated bullets getting the speed back by A)hotter primers, B) a faster powder or C) CAREFULLY increasing the amount of powder that you are currently using. I can't argue with 'em, they can sure as He.. out shoot me in most cases.

Of course this will take a lot of careful work, planning, and shooting over a Chrony to give you the information you want or need. And is using moly worth all this???? I think it depends on who you ask.WD

Shaky, I use Danzac too!!! You do lose some velocity and will have to work up your loads to get back to where you were.

Shaky, where can you still buy the Danzac refill kit? I have been trying to locate a company as I'm about 1/2 of my supply?

danzac.jpg

Jude
wink.gif

brokfut, here are a few pics although they aren't too exciting. Just wanted to show what I do as far as bullet coating. I feel this way is better because you don't have to buy another bowl just for coating.

I would follow WDSWIFT's suggestion as he is always very helpful!!! Thanks WD for some of your 6.5-06 loads
biggrin.gif

coating1.jpg

coating2.jpg

You are better off putting 2 jars of bullets to coat to keep the tumbler balanced but I think you get the idea.

Good luck and if you have any more questions I'm sure someone here can help
biggrin.gif

Jude
wink.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 03-06-2003 05:10: Message edited by: JudeinPa ]</font>

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back