New Bullets

Shaky

Hello all,

I haven't been around much lately
frown.gif

I have been busy on a new project - designing a new bullet. Yep, I am now in the bullet making business. It all started about a year ago.

I have had samples made and have done some load development and testing and they work as designed.

Anybody that is looking for a big game bullet - from lopes to elephants - I have just the ticket for you.

I am hopefull to be in full production by the end of Feb or the first of March, 2003.

These are custom made bullets, solid copper alloy construction. No lead in them at all.

I asked Moosie for permission to make this post prior to making it here.

Once in production I will offer any member of Moosies forum a 10% discount.

Information about "Groove Bullets" can be seen at http://groovebullets.com/forum

I welcome all of you to register and participate in the forum. I hope to make the forum as interesting as possible for all concerned.

I leave in 2 weeks on 2 different hog hunts and I will post pictures on the site once I finish the web site.

Anybody interested in ordering any bullets - once they go into production - can do so on-line or there will be a form that you can print out and mail in an order.

Again, I thank Moosie for allowing me to post this information here and will enjoy your participation on the Groove Bullets forum.

Have a good one all,

Don
smile.gif

Groove Bullets - Get in the Groove

could you please make some .500 50 ae bullets in 325 grain:p
I do not have many options,and my buddies over at the desert eagle forums would give you alot of business,depending on the performance we get.I would like to go bear hunting with my de.thanks for tipping us off on "getting into the groove"!
eek.gif

Shaky, It's an interesting idea. A solid copper bullet, with a rotating ring or rings rather than using the entire outside diameter.

What is the length of your bullets compared to lead core bullets of comprable weight? I noticed in the 257 loading, you didn't mention twist rate of the barrel. What was that twist rate?

cool.gif

1Bad,

No imediate plans to make a 50 cal bullet. All the bullet calibers at this time are made for big game - rifle bullets only. As time goes on I will be adding more to the line-up. I am always looking for feedback from hunters to see what calibers and types of bullets to add to the line in the future and I thank you for your interest in a certain caliber and weight. I am presently working on 2 additional calibers - 270 and 416. Hope to have those 2 calibers available my May or June.

Nut,

At the present I have these calibers in the works:
7mm

The 159 grain will work just fine in a 30-06.

Danr,

The 257 Roberts is a Factory Rem 700 rifle with a standard twist barrel.

The "grooves" are of a different design in that 3 different geometric types are used to obtain various results. I may have "over engineered" the design but tests so far have proven the design. The proof will be in the pudding, so to speak, once we kill some animals and visually examine the dead animals.

Copper is about 15% lighter then lead, by volume. Groove Bullets will be longer then a lead filled bullet of the same weight. One of the reasons for our "tests" is to determine if the longer bullet will stabalize. So far all of the bullets have stabalized with the twist rates listed.

As a comparison for length. If you took a 180gr lead filled bullet of similar shape and compared it to a 159 Grain Groove Bullet the length would be very similar.

One question I expect to see a lot of is: Why are Groove Bullets such "odd" weights? The bullet is/was designed for a specific caliber and "grouping" of animals. The "odd" weight is of a secondary priority. In designing a specific caliber and type I am looking to kill a certain "group" of animals and designed based on that criteria and calculated within a weight range. I could "play" with the geometry of the bullet to obtain a "certain" weight but that will take away from the desired design.

Have a good one,

Don
smile.gif

Don how the heck you doing its been a long time....

Thats sounds pretty cool about the bullets.. you have any pics yet?

email me when your going to chat...

Delw

Del,

You ole snake in the grass, am doing ok, for an old guy
biggrin.gif

I am in the process of sending one bullet for each of the 5 calibers to my web site developer. He will take the pics and post them on the web site. I also recovered a 25 caliber bullet, and 3 petals, and I will have him take a picture of the recovered bullet (and petals) and put an unused bullet next to it for comparison.
I am expecting the web site to be open in Feb/March. Once I obtain more results from the performance of the bullets, those pictures will be posted at the site as well as here on Moosies.

I am now in the process of putting together all the info that will be available on the web site. My web site developer has come up with some rather unique ideas and we will "hash" it all out over the next couple of months.

I will be in the chat room tonight, say around 9pm EST. Hope to see you there.

Give my best to your lovely wife and peace be with you and yours.

Don
smile.gif

shoot me an email I dont have your address.. toss in your phone number and I might give you a call too
biggrin.gif
Delw

Hey Del....I need some of those 159gr Groove Bullets for my 300WSM
biggrin.gif
in the NEXP for elk.

If this bullet performs as described....there is no need to shoot those big heavy bullets.

And the 159gr EXP for these Tennessee deer
biggrin.gif

Flipper,

The N-EXP should work well out of your 300 WSM.

I have seen many "solids" that were designed in such a fashion that they didn't feed well from the magazine. After having trouble, myself, getting some of those solids to feed I decided not to "pattern" my bullets along the same lines. One shouldn't have any problems at all "feeding" the N-EXP bullets.

I must caution you that the N-EXP is considered a solid. Check your state game laws to make sure that solids are legal in your state or the state you plan to use them.

If the N-EXP is not legal then the S-EXP would be a good choice as it is not classified as a solid.

Kraven,

You going after black or grizz?

Have a good one all,

Don
smile.gif

Shaky it will be after Black Bear here in Washington.Hoping you have great success with these new bullets,I sure would like to try them on a Bear with the .300 winny.I see no restrictions on a solid bullet being used in the state of Washington.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12-28-2002 15:34: Message edited by: Kraven ]</font>

Kevin,

The 159 grain S-EXP would be a good choice for a black bear out of a 300 win mag.

The N-EXP are designed for really thick hide type animals such as African game.

If one used a N-EXP bullet for black bear or elk I would be concerned with the "pencil hole" affect. If shot right in the shoulder, broadside they would do fine but if a double lung shot was taken I would be very concerned with the "pencil hole".

Have a good one,

Don
smile.gif

Shaky...the pencil hole effect is what I am getting out of my 270 now with Barnes X bullets 140gr.

I have killed numerous deer with that rifle and those bullets in the past 6 or 7 years and everyone of them had bullet hole in and same bullet hole exit. You couldn't tell if you shot it on the right or left side. It did not matter where you hit, shoulders, neck, lungs or quarting to or away.

Dang Shakey, I thought you were all hot on thoses "GS custom" bullets ?
Are these similer ? Get a photo up on the web site and I might try a box. I'm warning you though, my rifle might have a leupold scope on it, do ya thing the bullets will still work ?

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12-28-2002 23:08: Message edited by: Anaconda ]</font>

Flipper,

Sounds as if the bullet you have used on deer is to tough for the animal.

The EXP design should work well on deer. It is designed to enter the animal, the front portion of the bullet to open up, shed its petals causing internal damage and then the back portion of the bullet drive on through.

One side affect of the Groove Bullet is the speed at which one can drive it without pressure signs. This additional speed facilitates expansion of the bullet right after impact.

Do you get a lot of copper fouling with the bullet you are now using?

Don
smile.gif

Anaconda,

I do enjoy trying new bullets/ideas. It is a hobby of mine. Sometimes I obtain results I like, sometimes not, but it is all enjoyable to me.

The design characteristics of the Groove Bullet is unique. It is its own design and not copied from any other design. A set of parameters was established and then the design was developed based on those parameters.

The web site should be up and running and open to the public sometime in late February or early March. There will be pictures of the actual bullet(s). Being a member of "Moosies" you automatically receive a 10% discount.

Don
smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Do you get a lot of copper fouling with the bullet you are now using?

Don<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No I do not....everyone claims that there is alot of copper fouling with the X Bullets, but I don't have that problem. I guess the rifles in my barrel are extra smooth.

Shaky- Thanks for the info and good luck with the product. I know I'll be trying a box!!
biggrin.gif
BTW, about what will a box (I'm assuming 50) cost, approx.? Also, will the three different types have the same ballistics? I don't know if this is even possible, but it'd be great. That way I could work up on load and use the different bullets as game dictates without even changing my scope settings!

Also, if you need any help testing these bullets I'd be more than happy to help out!!!
biggrin.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-08-2003 15:29: Message edited by: 1_pointer ]</font>

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back