Varget

Calif. Hunter

I got a pound of this as a present. Has anyone tried it in their .223? I've been pretty happy with H335 or Winchester 748, along with IMR-4895. I usually shoot 50 or 55 gr bullets.

Calif, like you, I've been very pleased with ww748 and H335 in the 223. There is a fellow over on the "Varmint Board" that swears by Varget in the 223 and he sent me a bunch of loads for it. Next time I'm close to where I put all that data, I'll send it to ya. (If I haven't already sent it to ya.)
WD

I'm with Wayne. I have been loading and shooting H335, BLC2, and Thunderbird 2208 for 15 years without a failure. I've tried Varget in my 223 and in several others. I've not be able to duplicate the velocity and accuracy combination that I find with three mentioned powders.

I've had excellenet success with Varget in 22-250 and a couple of 22 wildcats, but not in 223. If you try it successfully, I would be interested in velocity/accuracy info.

:cool:

Rick, I finally found it. The loads that the fellow sent me for using Varget are as follows.

50gr NBT or Vmax, 26.3gr of Varget, Win cases, Rem 7 1/2 primers.

55gr NBT, 25.1gr of Varget, Win cases, Rem 7 1/2 primers.

Ken told me that he was getting well under 1/2" groups and about 3310fps out of the 50's and about 3180 out of the 55's. He is using a 25" barrel but I don't know what twist or countour (if it makes any difference). He also stated that he started out 2 grains low and worked up.

Good luck if you try these and let us know how ya like 'em. I'm curious, but I don't have any empties to load to try them myself right now. WD

Thanks! :D I've been happy with H335 and IMR-4895. But since I got a pound free, I might as try it. (I wouldn't have bought it for myself...) It doesn't really seem like a great powder for most of what I load, so I hope it works well in the .223.

Rick, a pound of varget will give ya a pretty good idea whether or not it shoots well in the 223. :D:D

If you have a 243 or a 7mm-08, the varget shoots real well in either of those. I don't have a 7-08, but have loaded some for an aquaintance and it shot real well. It is becoming the powder to beat in my 243 though, especially with 80gr NBT's. Good luck. WD

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back