MRP

danr55

A few years ago, Norma MRP was the best powder around for magnums with heavy bullets. Now Winchester has tried to duplicate that success with it's version of MRP. I have used it with limited success in a couple of over capacity 7mm chamberings including the STW. I was curious if anyone else had tried Winchester MRP. If so, in what chamberings, with what bullet weights?
:cool:

I haven't used MRP, but a powder that gets you in the same ballpark is Re 25, which is manufactured by Norma then private labeled for Alliant. I don't know if it actually is MRP, but if not, it's very close.

78 grains of it will send a 200 grain Partition out of my Ruger .300 Win Mag at 2,920 fps. That's about 80 fps faster than my next hottest load for that rifle, which uses 70 grs. of IMR 4831. Accuracy is very good, with five shot groups averaging about 1.1" at 100 yards.

Thank you for that Nodak. I have not used the new stuff, but happened into a quantity of it for a good price. ($3.00/LB.) so I bought what was available. I'll start working up loads when the weather cools. :cool:

danr55; I was attempting to E-mail the relative burning rate chart to you, but your E-mail doesn't work from the forum. The powder that you are discussing should be useful in the cartridge described with medium weight bullets. According to the chart, it is slightly faster burning than R 22 or IMR 7828 and even faster than R 25. With the heavier bullets, I would prefer a slower burning propellant. Hope that helps! Send me your E-Mail address and I will send you the chart.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02 September 2001 15:18: Message edited by: GilaMonster ]</font>

Thanks GM, but I have that chart already. I just woke up out of the daze I've been running around in for the last two weeks and started doing some research. Certainly do appreciate the offer though. :cool:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back