PEAX Equipment

Lead vs. jacketed bullets

Elkhunter

OK. Now I know there is no right or wrong answer to which bullet is better, lead or jacketed. But what are the pros and cons of lead vs. jacketed bullets....
I ask this because it seems that more & more people I talk to are using lead bullets in the bigger bores.

It depends on what your after Bill. I use lead in the 45/70 and soon in my Lott. I like the penitration factor but on the flip side I like a bigger wound channel, hence the jacketed.
I want to try them in the lott to see how they shoot, I might just stick with barnes.
I like the lead in the 45/70 because of the penitration and the speed of the bullet.
At 1800-1900 fps the lead will kill anything. Take a faster bullet and it might just zip right through and not do the damage you want (which is why I want to do tests on the Lott).
I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say.

LBG, another reason I was considering the lead was due to the artical I read at Beartooth Bullets which is below. The one rifle I am really considering it in is my 45-70.

Beartooth Bullets are heat treated to attain our BHN 21 hardness. Such being the case, they can also be annealed to reduce their hardness. For a soft-nosed bullet that will expand all the way down to 750 fps try this.
Stand a bullet in a shallow pan such as a cake pan or pie pan, then fill the pan with water to a point that the water level is even with the crimp groove. Then heat the nose of the bullet with a propane torch, using a moderate flame. Heat the nose of the bullet uniformly until there a subtle color change which takes place just before the bullet slumps and melts. This color change is subtle, and you will probably ruin a few bullets before you get the hang of things, but after closely observing, you will quickly recognize the color change when it takes place. At the instant of the color change, remove the flame of the torch from the bullet's nose and allow it to cool. When cooled you will have a bullet with a nose being BHN 11, and everything below water line will remain at the BHN 21, just like you receive them from us.

A bullet treated this way will have a soft nose which will expand all the way down to 750 fps, and yet will stop expanding when it deforms down to the crimp groove, as the alloy is harder there. The performance is similar to some of the partitioned expanding jacketed bullets that have been on the market for years. The beautiful part of this system is that you can work up loads with the standard hard bullets, then by simply annealing the nose have an expanding bullet without changing any your developed loading data, as the hard shank of the bullet in contact with the bore will still perform like our standard bullets. These annealed bullets will shoot to the same point of impact, develop the same pressures and velocities as untreated.

Be aware that this process will only work if the bullets are heat treated to harden them, and if the antimony content of the bullet is less than three percent. Beartooth Bullets meet this criteria, and respond wonderfully to this treatment.

I might just have to get some and try it out. I got a really cool butane torch from Snap-on I've been itchin to try out. thanks.

You are more than welcome. It seems like it would be the ticket. After reading this I may consider it for my 375 H&H and maybe for my 458 winny down the road. I am also considering it for my 454 Casull.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back