Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Another Question?

1_pointer

I know that you guys are probably getting tired of my questions, but here goes. How important is the energy data that is given for different cartridges in ballistics tables?? My reason for asking, is while over on the Winchester site I noticed that a 300gr. 45/70 has less energy at the muzzle and at 100 yards than a 120gr. 25-06. Now this doesn't make sense to me, a 45/70, I have been told, is a real powerful cartridge out to 100 yards or so. But this doesn't even have the energy of the 25-06!! I have heard of people using the 45/70 for things up to and including the BIG bears, but I have never heard of anyone using a 25-06 for them.

Is this discrepancy in the table because the velocity is squared in the determining of energy and therefore doesn't give the 'true' picture of the power a bullet is packing?? Just trying to get this right, what am I missing here?? Is it the surface area of the bullet?? Just wondering.

1 Pointer, The calculation of energy is basic across all of the physical sciences.

Energy=Mass X Velocity squared.

The power of the 45-70 is in the great mass or weight of the bullet. What the 25-06 lacks in mass it more than makes up for in veloctiy. I think what you are really looking for is an expression of terminal ballistic characteristics. That involves things like momentum, frontal area, and impact inertia.

The choice of calibers and bullets is largley based on what your intent is. What you are going to hunt and what the lay of the land looks like.

Although kinetic energy is a determining factor, it is not the only factor to consider when choosing a hunting rifle or handgun. If, for instance, I were hunting Elk, I would choose the 45-70 over the 25-06 and plan on getting closer to my quarry. If I were hunting coyotes, I would think twice about that choice. :cool:

Thanks Dan. I knew that energy couldn't be the ONLY factor and thanks for filling me in on the expression of terminal ballistic characteristics. I guess that there's is more than meets the eye(or ballistics table)!!! :D

Back