Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

????Ruger No. 1????

feclnogn

next to the rock over by the tree on the other sid
I dont know where to post this so I will post it here and in the firearms thread so here it goes. I really like this gun in the looks department and I am thinking about getting one in 22-250 in either the sporter model or varmit model. Do any of you have experience with this gun?? How accurate are they? I have had a few Rugers and generally have been very happy with them with the exception of the triggers. Should you replace the triggers with something from Timney, (I have a timney trigger on my muzzleloader and love it) I will top it with either a Leupold or Baush&Lomb scope in the 4.5X14 range and would mainly use it for shooting coyotes and beady eyed little varmits here in New Mexico. I will be getting back into reloading here soon and am looking forward to shooting some itty bitty groups. Can this gun do it?? Any help would be appreciated.

------------------
feclhuntweb2.gif

I have a Ruger #1 in .243. When I first bought it, it was slightly used (had less than 50 shots through it) and the owner said it "wouldn't group worth a damn".

He was right, I took it to the range that day, fired a couple of groups with the ammo he gave me, and got a 3 1/2" 5 shot group. The other one was wider.

I took it home, and immediately went to work on the trigger. What I did would make the Ruger lawyers blanche, but it now is crisp, clean, and 2 1/2 pounds. I thoroughly cleaned it, tightened all the screws, and loaded some 87 grain Hornadys up in new cases.

I did the old "one shot and clean it" break in for ten shots. I then went to firing five shots then cleaning it for another 40 rounds. The last five shot group that day was just a hair over an inch.

Since then, I've been tuning my loads for it, and results have been very good. The hotter the laod, the more accurately it shoots. I typically get 1/2" - 5/8" groups with my best load.

It took some doing, and the trigger helped immensely, but I now have a great looking varmint rifle. Good luck.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back