Sleeping bag advise please.

mtmiller

Well I decided that I needed a few new items for this year. I just bought a Leica rangefinder and I am now in the market for a light weight, cold weather bag. I am not rolling in the dough, so I would like to keep it under $300.

I am fairly sure that I want to go with a down bag, but am somewhat concerned about wet conditions. I know that some of these bags advertise water-resistant shells. Are they worth a crap or not?

Moosie, I remember that you bought an REI -5 Down EL. This is one of the bags I am leaning towards (partially because I have a gift cert. from REI). How did the bag perform for you? I remember you mentioning that your trip was unusually dry, did you have an opportunity to see how it stood up to wet conditions?

Another bag that I am curious about is Marmot Never Summer.

I don't think I will be using a bag much when it is hovering around zero, but I want to be ready if that is what it comes to. I don't want to leave the high-country because uncomfortable night temperatures.

Thanks fellas.

MtMiller, MY BAg worked Awsome. I was Never Cold and Even on Freezing Nights I cracked it open for so Fresh Air.... Mostly because I was Warm, It had nothing to do with the Smell (I swear ;) )

I can't atest how it would stand up in the Wet. I can Venture to Guess that it wouldn't work well being a Down bag. I did Go on Ebay and Buy a Bivi. I think I paid $80 for it or something and I slipped it over the Sleeping bag. With that, and the Water Resistant Shell it had on I was in Good shape.

I have truely not put it to the Wet test but we did have a Little moisture and it was just fine.

My hunting Buddy bought one of the MArmot series And he likes it.

Hey mtmiller, I suggest getting the model that comes with the cute little redhead. It is my understanding that feature alone will insure you stay toasty warm even on the coldest night. ;)

Is the bag for some serious backpacking or sleeping in the back of the truck. If backpacking I'd say go with down, if not then go with synthetic.

T Bone

Not sure if what you wrote was worded wrong or not. I'm curious as to why you would suggest down for backpacking...I would suggest exactly the opposite.

I am looking at the down because it will be for some serious back country hunting off my back, hopefully Wyoming at 10K feet and MT at 9K feet this fall (hell, maybe even Utah if I get damn lucky).

I was under the impression the down is most efficient when comparing weight to warmth. From what I have read, the only downside to down is that it is more expensive and if the down gets wet, I am up rope.

Anyway, I am still open for suggestions.

I hear ya Bwana. I have shared a sleeping bag with a couple of redheads. Even though they were on the petite side, it is tough to get the job done in a mummy bag. It was fun trying though.
hump.gif

Ovis,

I do believe it was worded correctly...maybe from an incorrect thought.

My thought is weight and bulk consideration with the assumption the bag will stay dry. For a -20 bag, 3 pounds vs 6.5 pounds.

Why not the Cabela's Alaskan Guide or Expedition III bags? They go down to -40 and -30.
Mainly because I am a pussy. :eek: I am looking for a bag that weighs about 1/2 that much. :D Seven pounds is great if you have a horse, but I am trying to keep weight to a minimum.

Gotcha T-Bone. If mtmiller is going to be using it for nothing but below freezing temps then I would agree with the down.

Alternative suggestion. How about a synthetic that rates for 15 degrees (probably more like 20 though) that you could use from Aug to Dec? I have one that weighs less than 2 pounds (North Face Cat's Meow)...would be nice enough for mild temps and if you were really going to use it in the dead of winter with zero degree temps you could then throw a fleece liner into it.

I'd definitely go with a mummy bag though...it'll lighten the load whether you choose synthetic or down. Your frame and body size would be ideal for such a bag.

You went during the rainy month (contrary to what actually happened)...I'm only recommending it if it is during below freezing temps. A lot easier to keep something dry when it is snowing than when it is raining.

Yeh, this will be specifically for cold weather hunting. I already have a synthetic bag that I use for warmer temps., but I wish it was a little warmer. I usually toss in a light weight fleece if it around freezing.

Thanks fellas.

If you have any comment on specific bags, I am listening and appreciative.

I strongly suggest that you look at the sleeping bags made by Integral designs of Calgary, Alberta, Canada. They have both down and synthetic bags, "gore-tex" and non-g.t. covers and are built on an individual basis; the design and quality is absolutely fabulous. The prices are not at all bad.

I have 40 yrs. serious mountain experience, both in employment and recreation and have sold lightweight equipment for a liveing. I have owned, used and worn out 11 bags and they recently built me my 12th. I have used bags from all the top makers, from all over the world.

I consider Integral Designs and Feathered Friends of Seattle to be the best, period. I have a super-light Feathered Friends bag that is 15 yrs. old and still is like new; it is rated for 32*F and I have slept in it down to 15*, quality really pays off.

How about this - get a quality synthetic bag in the 3#-4# range I have a Sierra Desighn thats great,pack some down under wear for sleeping and around camp, a down hat or other super light warm head gear for sleeping.

miller- Don't know if you remember my bag ;) from last year, but it's a Big Agnes. They get good reviews via Backpacker magazine and are very budget friendly. If you go this route, opt for the new Air Core (very comfortable btw) pad with insulation. It's an airmattress that is LIGHT and doesn't take too long to blow up.

hopefully Wyoming at 10K feet
You hunting pronghorns???
:D

Marmot makes an ultralight series with a 0+ down bag called the Lithium. I've never owned a Marmot bag, but I used one of their 0 degree bags a couple of years ago and stayed plenty warm (it only got down to about +15). The Lithium only weighs 2lb 8oz, but will hurt your pocketbook.

North Face has a damn light synthetic bag called the Tundra. The -20 version only weighs 4lbs, which is pretty good for synthetic. I've owned one of their Cat's Meow bags for about 10 years now and haven't had any problems with it (other than it being rated to +20 and me freezing in it at +30). This bag is very reasonably priced.

That being said, I wouldn't worry about quality when it comes to the REI bags. I think they make a quality product.

Oak

As afrementioned, it does depend on the conditions, and from what I see, you mentioned weight is a factor for bacpacking. In this regard, down has an advantage. As for getting wet, unless it's real humid, I don't see how your bag is gonna get real wet, unless your tent has a leak. :(

I've gone winter camping up here in Canada at -10 to -20 C (about 0F to -10F) and I don't put too much stock in the rating the bags advertise. Some bags boast a -10 rating at an amazing cost of 50 bucks, beleive me, all that means is if you're camping at -10, you'll be alive with a weak pulse in the morning - that's all!

I've recently bought a North Face Inferno which boats -40 temp rating and at -15 I can safely say I was toasty warm and dry. I don't mind the 5lbs of weight if it'll keep me warm. Of course, the underpad is important as well. After plopping moucho denero on bags, The North Face is all I will go with from now on. Their advertised temp rating is the most accurate IMO.

Having said that however, be ready to plop 500+ beans on this bag. I picked it up for about 350 US on special. Check out http://www.sierratradingpost.com/default.asp?mscssid=5B3D5EA13C1745DD8DE09BB30F267C90 from time to time for specials. They have limited stock as they only take oeverstocked or end of season itmes. There is also a North Face series of backpacking bags which weigh less, with temp ratings of approx 0 to -10 and cost about 250.

Hope this helps. Good luck ;) ;)

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back