ALASKA......

Moosie

Grand poopa
Even though Alaska is So close to the "LOWER 48" It seems like many hunters never get to go there. I plan to soon but have not as of yet.....

If you've been there, can you show share some Pictures and stories about your experiences. We won't get jealous..
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Moosie,

I haven't been to Alaska yet, but I'm going someday. I'm in the AF, and have volunteered for Alaska forever. I recently had a fellow in my Squadron that got selected as a nonvolunteer to Alaska, and I had volunteered for the orders. I was a little bit poed, but I'll get up there soon!!

Hudge

AK, Welcome to our site!!!! Sounds like you have a GREAT job!!!

Did ya see Santa this year, You being on the N. Pole and all??!?! HEhehe

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> AKA Moose Hunter
<LI> www.huntandlodge.com

moose.gif

[/list]

Hi, guys. I am also in the Air Force, and after six years of trying, I finally got sent to Alaska in 1992. Except for short (3 and 4 month deployments--one of which I'm currently on), I haven't left yet. In my 8 years, I've managed to take a small moose, a black bear, two caribou, 3 blacktail deer, and a brown bear, in addition to a lot of small game--grouse, ptarmigan, hares, and a fox. I'd probably have a bit more success if I wasn't so cheap as to do everything on my own, although I did pay to fly to Kodiak and Montague islands. I have a lot more success at fishing than hunting, too. If you get the chance, go, you won't regret it, and you might just want to stay.

I didn't get to see Santa this year...I'm over in the Middle East now. I'll be back in March. I don't mind missing the winter up there, the weather over here's a bit nicer!

Hello Folks,

I was sort of a lurker over on the old Moosie Board, but thought I'd join the conversation here.

I have a few pictures to share. The first one will be of the airport on Kodiak. A view I'm sure most of would love to see, either for the first time, or again!

Adqarpt2.jpg

If this works, I've got a couple more. The buildings to the left of the airport are part of the Coast Guard Air Station there.

------------------
Brian
The 416 Taylor WebPage!

Here's the airport in Sitka. The Coast Guard Air Station here is located at the far end of the runway. Can you guess who I work for!?
wink.gif

air2.jpg

The "Mt Fuji" looking mountain in the back is Mt Edgecumbe.

------------------
Brian
The 416 Taylor WebPage!

Prime Black Bear hunting area...

Bjbay2.jpg

This is typical S.E. Alaska inside passage terrain. Yes, that's salt water, not a river.

------------------
Brian
The 416 Taylor WebPage!

[This message has been edited by BW (edited 01-02-2001).]

Craig, Alaska. Located on Prince of Wales Island. More prime black bear area!

craig5.jpg

Well, that's it for now. If anyone's interested, I'll dig up some more.

------------------
Brian
The 416 Taylor WebPage!

Hey Brian ...welcome man! Ya gonna show us a picture of the "blackbear amphibious assault craft"? I saw it once on a page you referenced (I think it was in storage). Sparkman

BW, thanks for posting the awesome pics. Welcome again. Glad to see you are joining in and not just lurking.

------------------
Live to Hunt-Terry aka Coydog.
coyote4.gif

BW, great pics. I work for Alaska Airlines and it is great to see some of the places that we fly into. In Sitka is that the main airport for all air traffic, right there on the water? No wonder those pilots coming in on those flights from up there come in hot. They have about 100 times the land to work with. Have you got any pics of Anchorage or Palmer? Hopefully this summer I will be able to make it up there.

Later
Sportfury

Yep, that's the only airport in town, unless your sporting floats!
wink.gif
As a helo guy, I don't have to worry when our pilots land long. But when flying in commercial, I start to wonder when I see all that perfectly good tarmac speeding underneath the landing gear before we touch down.
smile.gif
Due to prevailing winds, it's seems like 90% of the landing and take offs are from the far end of the runway (as seen in the picture) so you know there's nothing but a water surrounded runway at the end. If you notice the picture of Kodiaks runway, it ends at the base of that mountain (Barometer). Yes, there's a couple plane wrecks up there.
frown.gif
I must add though, that Alaskan seems to stick with the new model 737's up here, which seem to perform very well.

Sorry no pictures of Anchorage or Palmer.

------------------
Brian
The 416 Taylor WebPage!

Wow they do Pave the airports in Ak only one I touched that was paved was in Fairbanks. All the rest were snowcovered.LOL

------------------
If there isn't any dogs in heaven .....IAINT GOIN

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back