Idaho 39

Carnivore

Hey all,
I found this site just a few days, but from the moment I started reading the posts I new I found a home. Great Site.

I live in Mt Home ID, and plan to go elk hunting in area 39. This area has good elk numbers, but it also host the highest numbers of hunters. I would've loved to have hunted a more remote area but because of work constraints, I have to settle for the Nov. 39 hunt. Any suggestions?

Don't know a thing about hunting in ID, but wanted to welcome you to Hunttalk!

I think there are a couple other guys on here from your area.

Oak

Carnivore.. YAH, I know a thing or two..... I know that I keep looking for Deer in 39 and ALL I find are DAM BULL ELK ;) :D (I don't hunt 39 for elk anymore BTW)

I'm not sure how the Nov issue on 39 is going to play out, We haven't had any snow like usual so that might be good :confused: I'm afraid that once it starts it will be too much to hike in without Horses. BUT I'm not sure.....

I was up twards Atlanta and Ran into several nice Elk up there. BUT I wass back with the horse people.

My first unit 39 ELK kill was down from Thorn Cr Bute. TAKE the road from SH-21 jsut past Idaho city and Head to the top. The bad think is the hunting is Down, so the Elk pack is back up. AND... like you said, there are the people :mad: .

Without giving any exact locations, I'd suggest you be in shape, PARK anywere along the dirt roads in the unit and Start climbing up... and UP .. and UP...
if you leave a few hours before Daylight you'll be in good elk country before ya know it....

WOW, I typed 6 paragraphs and Said nothing at all, HOPE that helps ;)

Also, Welcome aboard mate!!! Just curious how ya found our site ?!?! It wasn't because of a cool '97 BLUE Chevy parked in unit 39 with HUNTTALK.com logos all over it.. was it ?!?!? IF so, Don't tell anyone were I was parked, but you now know were to elk hunt :D

Thanks for the warm welcomes,

Moosie: I hav'nt seen the truck yet, but I have seen a lot of deer. Mostley doe's and small 2x's. I've only been to the hills a couple of time's so I dont know the area as much as I would like. I do know where some elk are but I'm debating if I really want to endure that much pain. As for deer, I keep hearing the bucks are up in 43. My buddies have been going up there with great success ( 4X's or better). I have a good lead I'm planning on checking out. I'll give you a debrief when I return. Thanks for the info on 39. I'll have my hiking boots on since I don't have horses.

Again, thanks for the welcome guys, I'm glad to be aboard.

Happy Hunting!

43 is a good place... I'm not all that familiar with it but have good leads on that too... MAYBE ONE day IO'll make it up there.

I'm like you and onl;y have my boots... KIND of hard to compeet but I always make it with the HORSE guys.... THEY tend not to like it that a HIKER made it that far back... :rolleyes: :D :D

GOOD luck to ya and keep us informed !!!!

We should hook up for lunch/dinner sometime !!!! SHARE a lie .. errrr Hunting story or two
I'm over in Boise......

WELCOME aboard again Mi Amigo !!!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Moosie:
We should hook up for lunch/dinner sometime !!!! SHARE a lie .. errrr Hunting story or two
I'm over in Boise......

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can I join ya for that lunch/dinner? I am in Mt. Home.

Mark

DAM straight you're invited !!! Are you the guy that just E-mailed me ??!? I'm behind on my responses... Something about hunting and working and having a family ;)

I'll get back to ya tonight !!! After teh season we'll have a big SHIN-DIG at my place. We can talk about all the elk/deer we didn't get this year :(

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Moosie:
DAM straight you're invited !!! Are you the guy that just E-mailed me ??!? I'm behind on my responses... Something about hunting and working and having a family ;)

I'll get back to ya tonight !!! After teh season we'll have a big SHIN-DIG at my place. We can talk about all the elk/deer we didn't get this year :(
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, that was me that emailed ya! I think that sounds like a great plan! I did get a deer this year, but I would love to talk about the Elk I never even saw :D

Could you reply to my home address that I gave you? I have to go to Boise with my wife tomorrow, so I took the whole day off ;)

Mark

I'm up for a bit of lunch if you want. Bring the wife even. Here's what I look like so you'll know it's me :

up-men-00289.jpg

HAHA.. I'll call you a bit later (Thanx for the Phone #) ......

Whoa,

Am I invited along. A little burger and brew with complete strangers sounds great.
:D Actually my elk hunt starts Friday so I'll be hitting the hills for a week or so. As I said in my original post here, I'm hunting an area in which everyone and there mother will be hunting. 3 to 5 thousand people walking the hills packing high powered rifles, Hmmm, sounds like a good time. :confused: But me and my two horses (left foot & right foot) are going into the badlands. I don't figure to see to many people back there. Besides, seeing how so many people road hunt around here, I'm not to worried. If anyone else is planning to hunt this area, I just talk to a Game wardern who said the animals are starting to head down off the mountains. He counted over 160 animals below Prarie heading towards the flats. The canyons off Bennet Mountain might show promise.

Moosie: I'll take a rain check on lunch. How about in a week or so we go blasts some birds in the A.M and then lie about our shooting in the P.M over some suds

Mike

Back