MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Wyoming feed grounds for elk in peril

Thx1138

Fewer elk. Sicker elk. That’s what the experts expect if Wyoming keeps on feeding.​

The projections of eight biologists — including three employed by Game and Fish — paint a dire picture of shrinking, CWD-riddled elk herds on the eve of the state’s first-ever elk feedground management plan.

This needs to be watched closely. You can’t just stop after 75+ years of feeding them.

Fewer elk. Sicker elk. That’s what the experts expect if Wyoming keeps on feeding.​

The projections of eight biologists — including three employed by Game and Fish — paint a dire picture of shrinking, CWD-riddled elk herds on the eve of the state’s first-ever elk feedground management plan.

This needs to be watched closely. You can’t just stop after 75+ years of feeding them.
Educate me. Why not? Fewer elk, but healthier overall seems like worst case.

Ok my opinion is that you can't in good conscience decide to just stop feeding regardless of conditions. They have become dependent. You need a few light winters to wean them off the tit. If they get hammered again and we don't feed. They may just stand on the feeding grounds until they drop. If they have a few light winters they will have some reasonable expectations of where to look for food.

Easy solution, bulldoze the airport and a bunch of those mansions. Remove the roads all the way up to the park entrance and return land to natural environment. You keep expanding into elk wintering habitat this is what happens, unless theres a better plan keep feeding! (-jacksons plan but rest of sites i have simular opinion)

Easy solution, bulldoze the airport and a bunch of those mansions. Remove the roads all the way up to the park entrance and return land to natural environment. You keep expanding into elk wintering habitat this is what happens, unless theres a better plan keep feeding! (-jacksons plan but rest of sites i have simular opinion)
Hell yes. All of Jackson except one Hunt Talkers place.

This and make it illegal to graze critical winter grounds to dust all summer.

Sticky issue, but I'd say pull the bandaid. Elk will go find food. If I am condensing this correctly, feedgrounds were largely for reducing conflict with cattle/private lands, and only incidentally for keeping herds unnaturally large in the face of decreasing available habitat?

I hate to see this... Going to result in a lot of dead animals. The post above about the winter grazing being leased out to the dirt is what frustrates me most. Either feed them, or stop grazing the grass to the dirt.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back