Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Who here has taken a mountain lion and what rifle or handgun did you use?

SCCWP

Hi I am new to hunting and bagging a mountain lion is on my list of things to do. Would just like to hear from those who have taken one or more of the big cats and what weapon did you use. Also if you have pics I would love to see them.

In a tree or you are going to try to spot and stalk or call one in? Different gun for each. I used a 30-30 with good results this past winter hunting over hounds. If I were going to be trying to spot and stalk a cat I would likely take my 6.5 PRC just to be able to reach out a bit if needed.

Attachments

• IMG_2778.jpeg
    6.1 MB · Views: 7
In a tree or you are going to try to spot and stalk or call one in? Different gun for each. I used a 30-30 with good results this past winter hunting over hounds. If I were going to be trying to spot and stalk a cat I would likely take my 6.5 PRC just to be able to reach out a bit if needed.
Thats a nice one, thanks for sharing. It will be a ways off before I get to try my hand at it. But I would probably use hounds. Hopefully going black bear hunting this fall so if I can tick that one off my list then I’m going to start looking at hunting the cats.

30-30 - 4 or 5
300 blackout pistol - 1 my daughter took
.357 Handgun backup on another hunt. Shot as it was coming at me. I think the initial shot on that one was a .45LC.

All with hounds

All worked

I would shoot whatever you’re comfortable with on a treed cat. It doesn’t take much to kill most cats, so smaller calibers are fine. I used a 7mm08 because it’s what I had ready to go (and because I’m a loyal HTer). IMG_2364.jpeg

.30-30 that dogs put up a tree...
sJlmzDAl.jpg

zE8cwbYl.jpg

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back