Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

utah muzzy general

ccc23454

Anyone ever try the late general muzzy in utah? Got a opening in my scheduale that lines up perfect so what to know what u guys think, hopefully someone has done it.

C

I've hunted Utah's general muzzleloader elk season the past three years. I think it is a good opportunity to hunt elk with a reduced number of other hunters in the field. There might be an increase in muzzleloader hunters this year due to the change in Utah's already loose restrictions that now allow the use of magnified scopes on muzzleloaders.

There are a few things to consider before selecting the general muzzleloaders elk season.

As you pointed out, this is a late hunt (November 2-10 this year), which occurs after the general and limited entry archery and rifle seasons. Elk have experienced quite a bit of pressure by the time this season starts, and a number of bulls will have already been harvested. Weather can also be fickle that time of year, so you'll need to be prepared for just about anything, but hey, that's elk hunting!

Another thing to consider is what type of experience you want to have. Utah has two types of general elk seasons: any bull units and spike bull only units. You must choose when purchasing a tag which of the unit types you want to hunt, and once selected you can only hunt that unit type. The nice thing about these units is that you can hunt anywhere in the state with that unit type designation, so you aren't limited to a small geographic area.

Spike bull units can be fun hunts that yield some of the best tasting and most tender elk meat. As the name implies, the bull must be a spike on at least on side. Spike bull only units occur on Utah's limited entry units, which hold the most productive elk habitat. The idea on these units is to limit general season harvest to spike bulls and let the other smaller bulls mature, leading to higher quality bulls for the limited entry hunts.

Any bull elk units do not have a limited entry season associated with them, and any bull with antlers longer than five inches can be harvested (essentially no antler size restrictions). These units typically occur on less productive elk habitat, and the land has a higher percentage of private ownership overall. That said, you can can have a successful hunt if you are willing to do your preseason homework and get off the beaten path when hunting.

I hope this helps. Happy hunting!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back