Swiss K31 vs. Remington Model 700 for Deer Hunting

I totally like the idea of using a military surplus firearm for deer hunting. I was thinking about a Swiss K31 based on its reputation, but currently have a Remington Model 700. I don't see a lot of deer, so every moment counts. What would people do? I did see a cool video on this topic:

YouTube Link

image_thu.jpg

I have a K31. Have not used it for hunting, but I think that would be very cool. 7.5 Swiss would be awesome for deer.

It's not the rifle, but the bullet and where it hits the deer that counts.

Although I killed my first elk with a borrowed sporterized .30-40 Krag rifle, I'm not a fan of foreign military rifles, and especially for hunting. I've had 3 Rem 700 rifles, still have 2 of them. Two of them, both chambered in 7mm Rem mag, were from pawn shops. The first was an ADL that I later traded for a BDL.

If I was looking for another rifle, or just plain looking at rifles in a pawn shop or the used rifle rack in Cabela's stores I'd probably pick up and look at every Rem 700 and wouldn't even pause to look at any of the old military rifles.

I’d follow Jeff’s advice. That’s the reason I check all my rifles before season and then carry them at will. Good to make memories with them all, they aren’t doing anybody any good collecting dust!

If you’re confident in your ability to shoot both, and have quality ammo for both, I say trade off. Especially if you’re not walking too far, as battle rifles don’t tend to be light.

I do almost all of my big-game hunting with sporterized military surplus rifles — black bear with my Springfield 1903, a public land buck with an FN Mauser, several hogs with a Spanish Mauser 93, others with a Steyr M95. I believe it enhances the overall experience to use something other than a generic hunting rifle, and it’s a good way to give battered old (non-collectible) firearms a new life.

I shot a doe offhand at 100yd using a model of 1917 I believe. Was missing the sights so I mounted a Long eye relief scope on the rear sight base with 1" split scope rings. They are very accurate rifles. I'm using 180 SST's . Basically same ballistics as a 308 Win or at least in the same neighborhood. Long action makes for a pretty long gun. You can shoot that dang Remington next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back