Sturgeon guide Washington

Bigjay73

Does anyone have any recommendations for a sturgeon guide in Washington? I've googles a few, not sure what to look for.

Catch and release if it makes a difference. Would like a place that gives you some sort of chance at a big fish

I haven't done it (yet) but I would look at Hells Canyon. I have looked at these guys website a few times but haven't researched much.

I haven't done it (yet) but I would look at Hells Canyon. I have looked at these guys website a few times but haven't researched much.
I’ve fished with them for salmon and steelhead quite a few times. Top notch outfit. Hells Canyon sturgeon would be some amazing scenery and a great boat ride compared to the Columbia. It’s all C&R I believe.

I’d second hells canyon if you want big and are good with catch and release. Start working on arm strength and stamina now
I'm all for people keeping a legal limit of sturgeon, I don't think I could though. I rarely keep a fish, but mostly because I'm too lazy to clean them lol

The true monsters are mostly caught below Bonneville dam, as are the majority of the keepers. Most people don't know that sturgeon are anadromous similar to salmon, so the only place in the Columbia where they can complete that life cycle is below the dam. Though some actually manage to get through the fish ladders.

We used Stott's https://fishstotts.com/fishing/snake-river/ 11-10 would recommend. They cook ya a burger on the water for lunch as well. I would bring a couple extra snacks, but I tend to snack hard in the sun. They had plenty to drink all day.

My father in law booked the trip just for something to do while we were visiting family. Was a pretty awesome time though. Been thinking about going back before too long.

Also as stated give the arms a good pumping up before you go. Brother in law had a hell of a time trying to get one close enough to shore. It takes a good bit to get them in. If it is too big they have to let it go if its going to take to long to get it in. I think he said after 1hr worth of fight.

We went when it was too hot. End of June or so I think. The guide said April or beginning of May are the best time to take a trip over. The guide let us know it was going to be slow for the time of year for sturgeon but we caught alot of smallmouths too. But said we would still catch a couple. The guide was trying to get us into something bigger you could tell, but between the beaches, bass and sturgeon we all had a great time.

295847208_369145282066281_495121258295803410_n.jpg

Sturgeon fishing is one of my favorite things to do. Something often overlooked is that you don't always have to fish them in deep water with heavy tackle. Around Astoria you can catch them around the tide flats with light gear. We've caught them in as little as 2-3' of water. The last trip I made down there a few years ago was pretty awesome. Between three of us we probably landed 40 fish in a few hours including one 6 footer. I don't have any guide recommendations for you but I would definitely look at the lower river as well

There are oversized fish all the way through the system, Don’t forget the Snake dumps into the Columbia above McNary damn. There are guides working the entire length of the river, my favorite for oversize fish was the upper end of Bonneville pool. I’ve caught them there in 85 feet of water and as little as maybe six.
Been quite a while since I fished down there, Don’t have any recommendations on guides. I’d give the fishing department at fisherman’s marine supply in Portland a call. Or call Three Rivers Marine up in Woodinville Washington a call. They are a big time Alumaweld boat dealer and are very picky about the guides they support.
The Snake is an Eticket boat ride and can be outstanding fishing. I’d give the Columbia an edge on consistent fishing but I don’t know the snake near as well.
Have a great trip.

The two biggest I ever caught were salmon and steelhead fishing. One was drifting sand shrimp on the bottom in like 15' of water, the other was quasi vertical jigging a spoon several miles up a tributary along a rock shelf with some good holes, when the latter fish jumped (which they're prone to do) I was so shocked I almost lost my rod. Didn't land either fish as I was using 12 lb test both times.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back