Rossi R95 Review

USAF Ret

Took a chance and got one of the new Rossi R95 rifles in a 20 inch. Topped with a Leupold 2-7x33 VX-Freedom. I was not disappointed. Action is smooth, like no other lever action I have handled. Trigger has just a little take up with a crisp break. No need for a trigger job. Best are the accuracy results. 100 yards factory ammo.

PPU 150 SP (lower right hole was from sighting in)
PPU 150_Upload.jpg

Winchester Power Point 150
Winchester Power Point 150_Upload.jpg

Also, just some additional information on the ammunition from the chronograph...

PPU 150
PPU 150 Garmin.jpg

Winchester Power Point
Winchester Power Point Garmin.jpg

Handload - 130 Speer HotCor 40.5 grains CFE-223. Need to do some seat depth testing. Not the speed I was hoping for, but plenty for a whitetail.

40.5 CFE-223 130 HotCor.jpg

40.5 CFE-223 130 HotCor_Data.jpg

Seems like CFE 223 is a love-it-or-hate-it proposition. I had miserable luck with it in 5.56 but know several much more experienced loaders that swear by it.

Very nice! I had been dead set on getting one, but then I found a deal on a used 336, and went that route instead.

I’d still like to pick up an R92 in 357 some day for use in a straight walled state white tail hunt, and plinking at home.

Seems like CFE 223 is a love-it-or-hate-it proposition. I had miserable luck with it in 5.56 but know several much more experienced loaders that swear by it.
I think there is a better powder. It was really not impressive. I tried PPV as well and the ES and SD were off the chart and groups were horrible.

Very nice! I had been dead set on getting one, but then I found a deal on a used 336, and went that route instead.

I’d still like to pick up an R92 in 357 some day for use in a straight walled state white tail hunt, and plinking at home.
I had a 336 and this one outshoots it. Disclaimer, it was one of the last ones under the old Marlin name, so the quality may have been lacking.

I had a 336 and this one outshoots it. Disclaimer, it was one of the last ones under the old Marlin name, so the quality may have been lacking.
All the reviews I’ve seen on these r95s seem to indicate that they’re shooters. I’ve only taken my 336 to the range once so far, so I haven’t gotten a good impression on how accurate it is yet. It wasn’t grouping particularly tight on that trip though. 2-4” groups at 100yd.

I wasn’t exactly shooting for accuracy on that trip though, rather just having fun, and I’m not convinced the optic I have on it isn’t faulty, as I had trouble with it on a previous rifle. My intention is to outfit it with a leupold LPVO once they’re back in stock. I figure for a round that’s only really good to about 200yds, even if the best it can shoot is 2”@100yds, that’s still good enough.

All the reviews I’ve seen on these r95s seem to indicate that they’re shooters. I’ve only taken my 336 to the range once so far, so I haven’t gotten a good impression on how accurate it is yet. It wasn’t grouping particularly tight on that trip though. 2-4” groups at 100yd.

I wasn’t exactly shooting for accuracy on that trip though, rather just having fun, and I’m not convinced the optic I have on it isn’t faulty, as I had trouble with it on a previous rifle. My intention is to outfit it with a leupold LPVO once they’re back in stock. I figure for a round that’s only really good to about 200yds, even if the best it can shoot is 2”@100yds, that’s still good enough.
LPVO is a great optic for a 30-30. Agreed on distance. I would not shoot past MPBR.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back