PTSD

Bill Christy

We think of PTSD associated with combat veterans. Although I served in the military, I was a peace time veteran serving in the Air Force just after we pulled everyone out of Vietnam. I served two years in Holland and then I was rotated back home to Altus, Oklahoma for honorable discharge, ending my four year tour of duty. Nevertheless, there are other situations causing PTSD. Mine was caused by my years of service as a Corrections Officer in a men's prison. I'm still suffering flashbacks caused by what happened in prison. Believe it or not, personally, I've found hunting to be very therapeutic. Whether I fill my tag or not, the entire experience is why I go hunting.

I've found hunting to be very therapeutic.
Very true for me as well. Returning from Vietnam, I joined the Montana Army Guard so I could keep flying Hueys. The real benefit was in forming a bond with fellow veterans who also returned to join the Guard. We hunted together, fished together, trained together, flew together, divorced together, drank alot of beer together, laughed together, cried together, shared stories and experiences in a cathartic process that gave us strength in overcoming whatever effects of PTSD. But one strong commonality was the hunting and enjoying Montana outdoors which was truly therapeutic, and continues to be today.

We think of PTSD associated with combat veterans. Although I served in the military, I was a peace time veteran serving in the Air Force just after we pulled everyone out of Vietnam. I served two years in Holland and then I was rotated back home to Altus, Oklahoma for honorable discharge, ending my four year tour of duty. Nevertheless, there are other situations causing PTSD. Mine was caused by my years of service as a Corrections Officer in a men's prison. I'm still suffering flashbacks caused by what happened in prison. Believe it or not, personally, I've found hunting to be very therapeutic. Whether I fill my tag or not, the entire experience is why I go hunting.
Ever get ptsd from bears? Does it helps if you use a Buddy heater and it keeps the bears away?

Back