NEW SITKA Ambient 75

NM muzzy season

shanny28757

I'm looking at applying for a New Mexico muzzy hunt. Can anyone give me general info on the second season? I'm sure the elk have been pushed around, but are these quality hunts or not worth applying for? I've never hunted elk before so I don't have much frame of reference. Looking to gather some info before applying. PM Me if necessary.

I don't have a specific unit picked out. I've researched quite a few that I would be interested to hunt that have slightly better odds during second muzzleloader. Seems too good to be true since most of the "prime units" have such low draw odds for all seasons including archery and first muzzleloader.

Just wanted to see if there is something I'm overlooking or if I'm not accounting for hunting after the first season guys. Like I said, first timer so I don't have a reference.

It all depends on unit & local conditions,but I have drawn a late mz several times and been in full late rut mode. Same as a prime rifle draw in most units or before,but better odds.
One thing to remember is we have the youth hunts 1st here,before most prime hunts. So after a month of pressure by bow hunters,we get whole families helping fill the kiddies tag ,so our elk have been well schooled by the 1st prime hunt rolls around in most units.

I have never drawn a premium elk ,but usually I am hunting nearby around same time.
Just go into it with late rut or post rut tactics in mind.

Last edited:
With the way new mexico's draw works, I'd look into 17 or 15 as first and second choices followed up by a late season hunt in unit 51. Its tough hunting, but that unit can get a lot of migratory animals in it in Late Dec..... That's only if I was hell bent on hunting with a smoke pole.

If I was doing it, I'd have a 'hail mary' primo rifle hunt as my first choice.... just like Big Fin recommends on his youtube videos and podcast.

I was actually looking at a second muzzleloader season as my third choice because so many less people apply, I figured the odds would be better even as a third choice. I am really just looking for an opportunity to hunt with a reasonable chance to get some encounters with elk. I'm looking at it like a journey and want to put myself in the best position possible for success.

After my research I was mostly interested in 13, 15, and 17. Ended up using unit 17 as my third choice.

Your odds will not differ based on what choice you make it. NM will look at all 3 of your choices prior to going on to the next guy.

17 is a great unit, I hope you draw it. I was in 15 all weekend shed hunting and the bulls are still packing head gear.
I would avoid 13 for several reasons, but mostly because of access and a checkerboard nightmare of res and private land.

Your odds will not differ based on what choice you make it. NM will look at all 3 of your choices prior to going on to the next guy.

JM, I realize my odds don't change from 1st to 3rd choice. I was more talking about the better probability of drawing 17 muzzleloader vs. Gila rifle. I'm looking forward to the draw results. I would be pumped to draw any of my three choices.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrturtle
Back