New MR Metcalf has 3 New Bag Sizes

Got the email from GOHUNT this morning on the pre-sale of the redesigned MR Metcalf. Has 3 different bag sizes (50/75/100), a new color, redesigned/lighter frame and the load shelf sits higher. Already pulled the trigger on the 75 in that new color.

Edit: the current version is 30% off as well

I bought the marked down Metcalf 71-liter at Scheels, then remembered I have an ExpertVoice account, and got 42% off of the new Ponderosa 75-liter Metcalf, so returning the other one to Scheels. Also bought the spotting scope sling. Can also buy an 18-liter pack in new color schemes that either attach to the bag, or directly to the frame.

I bought the marked down Metcalf 71-liter at Scheels, then remembered I have an ExpertVoice account, and got 42% off of the new Ponderosa 75-liter Metcalf, so returning the other one to Scheels. Also bought the spotting scope sling. Can also buy an 18-liter pack in new color schemes that either attach to the bag, or directly to the frame.
Forgot to mention, it replaced an older 100-liter Cabela's Instinct Prestige framepack.

Hello everyone. I am looking for a day pack that can haul out a load when needed. I hear everyone say they can use the Metcalf for a day pack as well. I am looking for a lighter day pack than my Just one pack I have been using. There are so many options out there. I was thinking about going with the Metcalf 75 but wonder if I would be better off with the 100 in the event I wanted to stay a couple days. I would like your guys thoughts as they also have the Pop Ups, Pintler & Sawtooth that are supposedly set up for a day pack. Thanks.

Personally for a day hunts I would use a Pintler…. I really loved how the pop ups would sit lower for day hunting however I found I didn’t care for them for load hauling. They works yes just didn’t haul as well as the guild lite frame. I have used the hell out of my pintler, bears, deer, moose, elk and caribou. I have a seam on a shoulder strap coming apart that I covered with Tenacious tape. Otherwise it’s good shape

Thanks for the response and info as it will help me narrow down my choices. Have you ever thought about or tried others besides your pintler?

Exo is a good bad that slims down to a day pack. With the new MR I think they’re neck and neck. You’re probably splitting hairs at that point so either would be fine.

Thanks for the response and info as it will help me narrow down my choices. Have you ever thought about or tried others besides your pintler?

I owned a dragon slayer, Metcalf, pop up 18, and 28 …. As well as well a few other brands, SG, EXO, SO and Kifaru

Exo is a good bad that slims down to a day pack. With the new MR I think they’re neck and neck. You’re probably splitting hairs at that point so either would be fine.
Having tried both - they are not neck and neck. MR still way behind IMO

Last edited:
That said, the Pintler is a great bag on the MR frame, when you go to a bigger bag, that’s where I have run into issues. My exo K4 5000 can load a 3-4 day hunt or can cinch down to a dayback. The pockets and organization are way more thought out and the frame moves with your body like a skeleton would. Been very impressed

Is the improved belt design that big of a difference from the previous generation? I just picked up a Metcalf bag when they were closing out the previous generation, and I am very happy with it. Not sure I can justify, jumping to the new generation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back