Layering cloths for early season

mrklean

Need some advice for layering cloths for a September elk hunt in Colorado I have Sitka mountain pants but not sure what do wear for jackets shirts etc. I am looking at the Cabela's Merino-Wool hoodie i see its 50% off at Cabelas right now and i have a massive amount of points to use. Any other opinions.

It’s often warm in Sept.
Add high temperatures to hiking miles and climbing, and it’s just as likely you will over heat as be too cold.
I recommend one of the poly-pro long sleeve base layers in a dull or camo color. Sitka makes a great one, but frankly a cheap one works good also.
Put a light, water repellant jacket over it, and a fleece or wool vest in the day pack “Just in case”.

September can really go either way in the high country of Colorado. A lot of the time, however, it is quite warm. I really don't change my layers until it starts getting really cold. I like the First Lite system personally, but companies like Sitka and Kuiu make great stuff as well. I wear the Llano QZ as a base layer and then jump up to the Chama hoody for a little warmer layer. These two pieces get me through 90% of the conditions I've seen. I always have a light puffy in my pack as well as a rain coat. I'm not too familiar with the Cabela's stuff but from what I've heard their new "backcountry" gear is pretty good.

I like Sitka base layer camo shirts if it's warm. A relatively cheap shirt option is Cabela's microtex that come in 2 thickinesses. I wear the heavier one a lot and it wears like iron and dries super fast. I like thinsulate vest and Sitka 90 jacket. Another necessity is a breathable rain jacket. I really like Sitka nimbus. Both my 90 jacket and Sitka nimbus rainjacket have pitzips (which is a necessity). You can obviously switch between the layers that work for the particular weather and how active you are.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back