Idaho unit 45 bull tag

SteveE

I drew a Idaho unit 45 bull tag - hunt 2023 which encompasses units 45 and unit 52. Season runs October 1 thru October 31.

I have driven through the unit but have never hunted either unit.

I live in MT so scouting it will be limited to the week of Aug 1

Does anyone know how the elk are doing in this unit? Lots of public ground but its lower elevation, wintering type ground all bordered by private so Im leery about the hunt. It appears the majority of timber country is in the northwest corner of the district. Is this a decent elk tag? Only thing i can find about 45 is the great deer.

Any good areas to camp out east of Mountain Home. Any other areas i should check out?

Plan to hunt Sept. 28 thru Oct 4. Will unit 45/52 hold elk in October or would this be a waste of time without private access?

Any and all opinions appreciated! PM's work too

Last edited:
Smokey - Bennett Unit 45. 50 views and no comments makes me wonder? Maybe I should add some politics to it :).

The 2015 harvest stats look incredible - almost too good and zero information on the net has me puzzled.
image.jpg

One way to figure it out I guess...

You will need the Idaho onx chip but its not necessary to pay the $500 a day trespass fees they charge over there. Just know where you are at. The basketball size lava rock is very hard to walk in and shreds boots but you need to walk a lot.

It can be a tough hunt without access to private, or at least knowing where the elk move on and off the private. It can be really hot during the first part of that hunt 85+ degrees... What size bull are you looking for? A lot of the bulls I see in that unit are broken up by October. This should give you a starting point on some public that holds good elk (It's a haul up there): http://www.monstermuleys.info/cgi-b...thread&om=11419&forum=DCForumID12&archive=yes. Not my hunt at that link, but I've been in that same area with my onx gps chip- good elk country. If you have any questions PM me.

Solid advice elkmagnet. I use onx for MT. I will get Idaho.

Excuse my ignorance on the unit. I put in primarily for the mule deer tag but drew the elk so I have some catch up to do on scouting.

I'm usual hunting elk units with 16% success rates. Am i reading the harvest states correctly - this unit has a 68% success rate with 77% being better then 6 pnts? Seems like elk hunting heaven to me:)

What is the best boot for lava rock? Kenetrek type mountain boot or do people use more of a flexible hiker?

How about water for backpack style camping? It looks very dry on google. Should I plan on packing all my water or can a guy find water sources every few days - generally speaking. I understand each area is different.

Thank you very much - i have a lot to figure out.

Last edited:
Thanks Owyheehntr. I'm not looking for a giant - just a quality hunt in some new country. I love to hunt the breaks in MT so the lava rock type country sounds like a fun challenge. Different but I'm excited to finally get a tag in Idaho.

Broken up bulls from lots of bulls fighting is OK in my book :)

Much appreciated!

I hunted across the highway from that unit 2 years ago. Seems to be quite a few elk in that country. I hunted the end of my season at a pards suggestion because the resident elk stream into 45 after the first weekend! Good luck! That's some neat country.

I've asked on other forums about seeing some pictures of previous bulls taken off the unit, but not much luck. Anyone on here have any pictures?

I've wondered the same thing for a few years, about why there is such minute amounts of information out there about 45. Especially considering the draw odds and the notoriety of the unit, figuring that more people would be willing to share. You'll find very few hunt threads for deer or elk in this unit.

I've put in for the archery tag once and the rifle tag once. The statistics are very good, I've always wondered how many critters get taken on the 2 big ranches in the unit. Good luck though, report back with some scouting and hunting pics. I'm sure you'll find some critters on public.

Back