Idaho -Frank Church Elk (Middle Fork Zones)

coleslaw

Yeah, so I purchased a Middle Fork Zone A-tag for Elk this year along with my general deer and I will likely be sticking to Unit 27. And yes, I get that saying it is rough country is a complete understatement. The few forums that talk about this region all say the same thing- steep, rugged, remote, heartbreaking, not a lot of game, buy a wolf tag, bring pack horses or go elsewhere...etc. Well, unless I am lucky in the draw, it's where I am headed. I have been looking at the unit from Google Earth and OnxMaps, and I've gotta say that even from the laptop screen it is a bit intimidating- but exciting.
I will be packing in on foot ultralight style (Kuiu makes some awesome gear for that) and hopefully hunting out of a basecamp (if I can find a flat spot lol) near one of the creeks which will probably force me to hunt from the bottom and up.
I am 30 y/o, actually in very good shape- the gym is a normal part of my life, and did enough time in the Army/Infantry with deployments to match to know what "the suck" is. But I also know my limits and know that 10 miles on foot for a base camp may be pushing it out there.
I will have one or two others with me also.
I understand that I may not see anything at all out there due to the size of the country and low numbers of game, and that is ok. Being able to hunt in one of the last/ few truly remote areas in the country or the world for that matter is a reward all of it's own and I look forward to it.
Anybody have any helpful advice for this area besides the first above statements? Yes, I will have my wolf tag. Thanks guys!

Have a sat phone with your pre-arranged outfitter’s phone number programmed in. If you guys shoot an elk 10 miles back there, you’re gonna be in trouble. The other option would be a campfire, a big bottle of A1 and a big appetite. :) Good luck. I wanna hunt that place sometime as well.

It sounds like you are going after it for all of the right reasons.
I just wanted to say it's everything you have said and more. If shared with the right people it will be amazing.

PM me if you want to share your plan and run it by a local who hunts there. I can share where pressure will likely be high, roads are bad, trails aren't maintained, etc. I've done that with various guys and I enjoy helping out. Sharing info is beneficial too.

Especially after mid October, you really need to prepare for snow on rocky sketchy roads.

The game density is pretty low as you are aware. Predation is high with calf ratios well under 20 and 30 is good. Trophy quality is low because the nutrition is poor in that part of Idaho. The deer have been getting nailed in the rut also. Killing an animal in there is a trophy for most.

The deer and elk are normally pretty high and in different habitat based on their preferred food. Elk are in more grassy areas with deer where there's sagebrush/bitterbrush.

The other issue is that people are obsessed with wilderness these days so it's actually getting really busy. Nearly 1000 elk hunters alone in unit 27. So many trucks driving by I was shocked. If I was starting new, I may pick a different area to avoid the wilderness crowds but it's hard to ditch places you know. You can trade in your tag prior to the hunt. Fun place though if you like rugged.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses guys. I guess the only strategy I have thus far is maybe trying to get back to one of last year's burns if it's worth a look. I thought about maybe a fly-in/ drop camp, but I heard on other forums that these are starting to get crowded as well. At least around the airstrips, but maybe it will be an experience for the future regardless.

I've never hunted the area, but have done several backpacking trips through there, so I'm no help on where the game will be. First off, I'm jealous. You're going to have a great time. Take lots of pictures, there will be plenty of trophies in your camera roll. Take time to just enjoy the landscape, it's about as rugged and wild as it gets in the lower 48. Have a blast man, it'll be great.

PM me if you want to share your plan and run it by a local who hunts there. I can share where pressure will likely be high, roads are bad, trails aren't maintained, etc. I've done that with various guys and I enjoy helping out. Sharing info is beneficial too.

Especially after mid October, you really need to prepare for snow on rocky sketchy roads.

The game density is pretty low as you are aware. Predation is high with calf ratios well under 20 and 30 is good. Trophy quality is low because the nutrition is poor in that part of Idaho. The deer have been getting nailed in the rut also. Killing an animal in there is a trophy for most.

The deer and elk are normally pretty high and in different habitat based on their preferred food. Elk are in more grassy areas with deer where there's sagebrush/bitterbrush.

The other issue is that people are obsessed with wilderness these days so it's actually getting really busy. Nearly 1000 elk hunters alone in unit 27. So many trucks driving by I was shocked. If I was starting new, I may pick a different area to avoid the wilderness crowds but it's hard to ditch places you know. You can trade in your tag prior to the hunt. Fun place though if you like rugged.
i know this is old, but can i share my plan with you? looking for guidance due to unknown weather variables.

Yeah, so I purchased a Middle Fork Zone A-tag for Elk this year along with my general deer and I will likely be sticking to Unit 27. And yes, I get that saying it is rough country is a complete understatement. The few forums that talk about this region all say the same thing- steep, rugged, remote, heartbreaking, not a lot of game, buy a wolf tag, bring pack horses or go elsewhere...etc. Well, unless I am lucky in the draw, it's where I am headed. I have been looking at the unit from Google Earth and OnxMaps, and I've gotta say that even from the laptop screen it is a bit intimidating- but exciting.
I will be packing in on foot ultralight style (Kuiu makes some awesome gear for that) and hopefully hunting out of a basecamp (if I can find a flat spot lol) near one of the creeks which will probably force me to hunt from the bottom and up.
I am 30 y/o, actually in very good shape- the gym is a normal part of my life, and did enough time in the Army/Infantry with deployments to match to know what "the suck" is. But I also know my limits and know that 10 miles on foot for a base camp may be pushing it out there.
I will have one or two others with me also.
I understand that I may not see anything at all out there due to the size of the country and low numbers of game, and that is ok. Being able to hunt in one of the last/ few truly remote areas in the country or the world for that matter is a reward all of it's own and I look forward to it.
Anybody have any helpful advice for this area besides the first above statements? Yes, I will have my wolf tag. Thanks guys!
@coleslaw - would appreciate connecting with you to learn of your Middle Fork experience some years back. This upcoming year will be our 3rd consecutive nonres elk hunt. We drew Middle Fork w/ sense of urgency after first few choices sold out before our number was up. We do our homework and put in the hours, but clear to us that Middle Fork is another level altogether. Thank you much.

@coleslaw - would appreciate connecting with you to learn of your Middle Fork experience some years back. This upcoming year will be our 3rd consecutive nonres elk hunt. We drew Middle Fork w/ sense of urgency after first few choices sold out before our number was up. We do our homework and put in the hours, but clear to us that Middle Fork is another level altogether. Thank you much.
Good luck. It is tough country.

i hunted mule deer in there and saw some elk. I have never been so gratefull not to have an elk tag😂. However far you think you could normally pack an elk, limit yourself to at least half that distance.

i hunted mule deer in there and saw some elk. I have never been so gratefull not to have an elk tag😂. However far you think you could normally pack an elk, limit yourself to at least half that distance.
I was helping a buddy scout for sheep in the Frank in a unit adjacent to this one.

We saw a really nice bull a mile away and I remember saying, "there is no way I'd shoot an elk in here."

We were 12 miles in though, and I was already pretty dang tired.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back