ID F&G Tables ATV Restrictions

Hangar18

F&G tables more ATV restrictions for this year
Split public opinion doesn't warrant action, official says

Roger Phillips
The Idaho Statesman | Edition Date: 03-04-2006

All-terrain vehicle users will see no new restrictions in the Southwest Region this year, but the issue is not dead.

Fish and Game Commissioner John Watts of Boise led a unanimous vote Friday to postpone additional restrictions and to allow hunters, land management agencies, ATV groups and others to come up with solutions that answer complaints the Idaho Department of Fish and Game has received about ATVs.

"There's no doubt we put a shot across the bow and it got people's attention," Watts said. "Now I want all the groups that said they're willing to help to come together and find a win/win solution."

ATVs have soared in popularity. There were about 100,000 ATVs and off-road motorcycles registered in Idaho last year, which is nearly the double the number from five years ago. Most of that growth is in four-wheel ATVs.

Many of those vehicles are used during hunting seasons, and F&G has received numerous complaints about people illegally hunting from the vehicles, using them to travel cross country off established roads and trails and interfering with other hunters.

"It's one of the most common complaints made by hunters in southern Idaho," F&G big game manager Brad Compton said. "It ranks right up there with wolves."

The Blue Ribbon Coalition, a Pocatello-based advocacy group for motorized recreationists, is already working on an action plan to address ATVs and hunting, BRC public lands director Brian Hawthorne said.

"It's a legitimate issue," he said.

Only two of the 18 hunting units in the region currently restrict ATVs to established roads.

In February, F&G surveyed hunters about restricting off-road vehicles in the entire Southwest Region by limiting them to open roads capable of carrying a full-sized vehicle. In the random survey of 704 hunters, 55 percent said they favored expanding the restrictions, and 42 percent opposed it. The rest were undecided.

In another Web-based poll the agency conducted, 1,154 people responded, 53 percent opposed restrictions and 45 percent favored them.

Another 105 people commented at open houses, with 61 percent opposing and 35 percent supporting the restrictions.

After the random survey, F&G recommended four new units for ATV restrictions: units 22, 31, 39 and 40.

Watts, who made the motion to postpone any additional restriction for a year, said the surveys did not show strong support for the restrictions.

"I'm not going to put this kind of imposition on a 50/50 split," he said.

F&G biologists said use of ATVs is affecting deer and elk herds in units 22 and 31, because hunters have an easier time getting to bucks and bulls. Watts said that needs to be addressed.

"If I was going purely with the biology, I would" restrict ATVs, Watts said. "I am confident one year isn't going to tip any herd over."

Hawthorne said the Blue Ribbon Coalition is not satisfied with F&G's current ATV restrictions, which he said discriminates between hunters and people who don't hunt because the restrictions apply only to hunters.

He wants to see multiple approaches to resolving the problems with ATVs and hunters, including more education, enforcement and better interaction between agencies.

Bob Bond, a hunter from Eagle who uses an ATV, said he opposed F&G's restrictions because land management agencies such as the U.S. Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management should be regulating ATVs, not F&G.

He agrees that "irresponsible use of those vehicles is a problem." He supports more enforcement of existing rules, and stiffer penalties for violators, especially those who go off roads and designated trails. But he said enforcing existing laws will continue to be a challenge.

"If you go off-trail, you should be held accountable, but how you get there is another story," Bond said.

Copyright 2005 Knight Ridder

http://www.idahostatesman.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006603040347

I wrote ID F&G the other day asking for the citation in Idaho State Law that states ID F&G or the F&G Commission has the authority to regulate use of motor vehicles while hunting. I am not saying I am against it, I just want to know how they can since travel plans / restrictions are generally developed by federal agencies on federal land.

Some good is going to come out of this. The BRC has a draft five-part action plan that was developed with SFW. Hopefully some will be able to read the plan for its content and be able to scrutinize something about it besides just those who authored it. Personally I would like to see some effort go toward stronger penalties for those that abuse; as well as something that does not make someone a criminal until they commit a crime, ie., carrying a firearm on your person while riding an ATV during hunting season in a hunting area.

Action Item 1: Ethic Message
Pursuant to the existing Memorandum Of Understanding between the Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation (IDP&R) and the Idaho Department of Fish and Game (IDF&G), the organizations will assist the agencies in developing and distributing a more effective ethic message specifically targeting hunters who utilize ATV's.

The organizations will encourage the IDF&G to publish ethic information in the proclamation, as well as distribute ethic materials at other outlets such as sporting goods stores and ATV dealers.

Action Item 2: Travel Regulations/Maps
The organizations will encourage the IDF&G to notify all tag purchasers of the existence of the relevant travel regulations and the manner of obtaining the same. In units where current travel regulations are 'limited to designated roads, trails and areas' the organizations will work with IDF&G to make available a current travel map for applicable big game units.

Action Item 3: Update Travel Plans
The organizations will support federal land managing agencies to move to the 'motorized travel limited to designated roads, trails and areas' paradigm. The organizations will support formulating travel regulations that are consistent with federal, state and local laws.

Action Item 4: Law Enforcement
The organizations will support enforcement of travel regulations that are consistent with federal, state and local laws. The organizations will support cooperation and coordination between the IDP&R and the IDF&G, pursuant to the existing MOU, for law enforcement efforts focused on the hunting seasons.

Action Item 5: Wildlife Enhancement Projects
The organizations will assist the IDF&G, the IDP&R and other stakeholders in implementing habitat enhancement projects that benefit wildlife such as noxious weed control in order to benefit Idaho's wildlife.

Hangar18 said:
I wrote ID F&G the other day asking for the citation in Idaho State Law that states ID F&G or the F&G Commission has the authority to regulate use of motor vehicles while hunting.

Hangar, I'm pretty sure most F&G departments have the power to regulate use of motor vehicles while hunting. Any method of take or equipment to aid the hunter can be regulated by G&F. Seems like a no-brainer to me. What am I missing?

My main beef, and this coming from someone who owns ATV's and dirtbikes, with the BRC is the past issues with some illegal guiding done by some of the organizations officials. Now they are going to crawl into bed with SFW? They (BRC) are just giving me one more reason, even as someone who "should" like what they stand for, to dislike them. As for distributing material as to the ethics of ATV use I'm sure most all ATV owners know what constitutes ethical use already, providing more literature is probably just going to waste a few more trees. At any regional office you will already find info on ATV's and their effect on hunting, ethical use, and big game survival. I hope IDFG eventually goes forward with this and expands it even more.

Additionaly, do you have a contact email for the BRC? I'm curious what they really know about SFW and what their thoughts on wildlife management are? I tried to find one on their site and came up empty.

Oak - It seems like a no-brainer to me as well. However, when I read through the Idaho State Statutes Title 36 FISH & GAME I did not see anything that actually gave them this power outside of the "method of take". That may be enough.

TheTone - I read a few threads about SFW on this sight. That is why I said
Hopefully some will be able to read the plan for its content and be able to scrutinize something about it besides just those who authored it
because their participation gives me pause as well. In this plan, I see the difference being these materials will be distributed in key places rather than available for pickup. It's a good start.

The contact info for the BRC here

I wont compromise.

Idaho made the right proposal, ban them from all roads other than routes that any other passanger vehicle is capable of driving.

Update the travel plan, show what roads are driveable, what roads arent. Black and white, no gray.

Enforce the law and confiscate any ATV found (hunting) off those routes during a hunting season, seize the tow vehicle and all other hunting equipment, lifetime loss of hunting/fishing/trapping license in Idaho as well as the other 22 states in the pact, and a hefty fine with a mandatory 90 day jail sentence.

Problem solved and people wont be tearing up the countryside on their lazy-man machine.

Trying to "work" with these groups is a joke. They want to "compromise" my wildlife and wildlife habitat because they're too lazy to walk.

Compromise has put us in the mess we're in now, atv trails all over the place, fat out of shape hunters, weed infestations, degraded wildlife habitat, etc. etc. etc.

I'd say that motor vehicle use would be covered here:

(b) Authorization for Commission Powers and Duties. For the purpose of
administering the policy as declared in section 36-103, Idaho Code, the
commission is hereby authorized and empowered to:
1. Investigate and find facts regarding the status of the state's
wildlife populations in order to give effect to the policy of the state
hereinbefore announced.
2. Hold hearings for the purpose of hearing testimony, considering
evidence and determining the facts as to when the supply of any of the
wildlife in this state will be injuriously affected by the taking thereof,
or for the purpose of determining when an open season may be declared for
the taking of wildlife. Whenever said commission determines that the
supply of any particular species of wildlife is being, or will be, during
any particular period of time, injuriously affected by depletion by
permitting the same to be taken, or if it should find a longer or
different season, or different bag limit should be adopted for the better
protection thereof, or if it finds that an open season may be declared
without endangering the supply thereof, then it shall make a rule or
proclamation embodying its findings in respect to when, under what
circumstances, in which localities, by what means, what sex, and in what
amounts and numbers the wildlife of this state may be taken.
http://www3.state.id.us/cgi-bin/newidst?sctid=360010004.K

BuzzH said:
I wont compromise.

Idaho made the right proposal, ban them from all roads other than routes that any other passanger vehicle is capable of driving.

Update the travel plan, show what roads are driveable, what roads arent. Black and white, no gray.

Enforce the law and confiscate any ATV found (hunting) off those routes during a hunting season, seize the tow vehicle and all other hunting equipment, lifetime loss of hunting/fishing/trapping license in Idaho as well as the other 22 states in the pact, and a hefty fine with a mandatory 90 day jail sentence.

Problem solved and people wont be tearing up the countryside on their lazy-man machine.

Trying to "work" with these groups is a joke. They want to "compromise" my wildlife and wildlife habitat because they're too lazy to walk.

Compromise has put us in the mess we're in now, atv trails all over the place, fat out of shape hunters, weed infestations, degraded wildlife habitat, etc. etc. etc.
I agree 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is a shame that it has or may come to this, but some have ruined it for all.

AS I have said in the past, I'll say again. If, according to the travel plan, off road travel is allowed, then off road travel should be allowed. I support having some roads/trails open for ATV travel. However, I am NOT a big supported of the OFF ROADING aspect. They're tools, use them wisely (power tools are most dangerous when used unwisely, look at BUZZ & MATTy if you need any examples, it was tragic).

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back