Caribou Gear Tarp

I thought it was a trick......

SFC B

About a week ago I got an email notification from Nosler that my coveted 300 WM 180gr BTs were available. I thought my eyes were deceiving me as it had been more than 2.5 YEARS since I could find any. It was REAL!!! 62 a box is a full 50% above what it had been but beggars can't be choosers. I have 5 boxes in hand now.....may go for more if i can swing it. Still perplexed WTF was the hold up.......

One group of clients I had last summer were Federal Premium higher ups. They said their powders, primers, and bullets were all going to making more ammo since it makes them the most money. They said once they catch back up with supply, they would start selling components again. So that must mean they're finally catching up.

About a week ago I got an email notification from Nosler that my coveted 300 WM 180gr BTs were available. I thought my eyes were deceiving me as it had been more than 2.5 YEARS since I could find any. It was REAL!!! 62 a box is a full 50% above what it had been but beggars can't be choosers. I have 5 boxes in hand now.....may go for more if i can swing it. Still perplexed WTF was the hold up.......
SPS has the bullets for $31/50...I've seen them off and on for a couple years.

Good thing I saw this post, I just ordered several hundred of the 120 BT's in 7mm.

*edit, realized you were talking loaded ammo...

Last edited:
Well, the distributor/wholesaler i deal with started having some Federal primers as of late.
Prices aren't all gougy either.

Hopefully we get some of these in our shop so I can get them at cost......hated to pay this price but I couldn't pass them up

Hopefully we get some of these in our shop so I can get them at cost......hated to pay this price but I couldn't pass them up
That is just bullets only right? Today's Ballistic Tip is a fantastic bullet. mtmuley

Well, the distributor/wholesaler i deal with started having some Federal primers as of late.
Prices aren't all gougy either.

Yep. Scheels is just wrapping up a sale on all their components. A brick of 205m primers was like $84 with the 15% off deal.

Its good to see Nosler making some components a little more available. Probably staffing problems. Hope it continues to get better.

Nosler was about tops in jacking up their price for factory ammo just from looking at on the shelf ammo since 2020. Can't see why theyd want to sell components if they can sell it loaded for those absurd prices.

I got the same email from Nosler. I’ve always been an Nosler guy, but I think this year I’m gonna try some 180grain Hornady precision Hunter for the 300 win mag.

Nosler was about tops in jacking up their price for factory ammo just from looking at on the shelf ammo since 2020. Can't see why theyd want to sell components if they can sell it loaded for those absurd prices.
For 7mm-08 I've been wondering the opposite, i.e. why they're even trying to sell components when I can buy loaded ammo for so much cheaper. As of this writing, 140g 7mm e-tips are $1.50/ea and new brass is $1.92/ea on Nosler's website. Meanwhile, I just bought 3 boxes of loaded ammo with those same components for $2.25/ea from Optics Planet with their 20% coupon.

Given that my rifle loves that factory ammo, that's pretty strong incentive not to bother with loading my own.

(p.s. Hammer, don't tell Nosler but all that brass will have Hammers loaded in it for round 2+).

Last edited:
Depends on why you reload. Saving money isn't the most important thing for me, but I still am at current prices. I'm no where near $2.25 a round for reloads.

I have a watch filter for a few things and my stuff still has not been made yet. Luckily, I don't do much rifle shooting anymore. I was just hoping to reload a handful of cases that I have sitting on my shelf.

Depends on why you reload. Saving money isn't the most important thing for me, but I still am at current prices. I'm no where near $2.25 a round for reloads.
Definitely.

My post was poorly phrased; I meant incentive not to load my own etips specifically. I'll be resusing all the brass from the factory ammo eventually in hand loads 👍🏻

To me, the greatest advantage of reloading is the ability to make the "best most accurate" round for your rifle. It amazes me that you can get good accuracy with factory ammo. Each rifle seems to have its own peculiarities when it comes to what works in it. For your average hunter, 3-5 moa probably works just fine for 1-200 yds. Reloading can be very addicting, just like anything else. I save no money doing it. It actually cost me more but I enjoy it and get a lot more trigger time. Its comforting to know, I can whip a batch on a whim.

Yeah I'm quite delighted by the performance of the 140 factory etips in my rifle. I'm super green at reloading and was working with borrowed equipment (I currently don't have a press), but the best I could do was ~1.5 MOA. More than accurate enough for hunting, and I'm getting ~3000 fps with 131gr Hammer Hunters out of my 20" 7mm-08, which has proved to be as devastating as you'd imagine on the 3 animals I've taken with that load.

But the etips shoot sub 3/4, which is just plain fun on a budget rifle. I'll get my handloads down into that range eventually, but in the meantime :).

To me, the greatest advantage of reloading is the ability to make the "best most accurate" round for your rifle. It amazes me that you can get good accuracy with factory ammo. Each rifle seems to have its own peculiarities when it comes to what works in it. For your average hunter, 3-5 moa probably works just fine for 1-200 yds. Reloading can be very addicting, just like anything else. I save no money doing it. It actually cost me more but I enjoy it and get a lot more trigger time. Its comforting to know, I can whip a batch on a whim.
Why would it amaze you to get good accuracy with factory ammo? With a properly built rifle in many chamberings, poor accuracy with factory ammo can be the outlier.

Out of 6 factory loadings shot in my 6 creedmoor hunting rifle (none of which I paid more than $1.50/rd for), this was about as bad as it got at 100 yards:
1711470647918.png

Why would it amaze you to get good accuracy with factory ammo? With a properly built rifle in many chamberings, poor accuracy with factory ammo can be the outlier.

Out of 6 factory loadings shot in my 6 creedmoor hunting rifle (none of which I paid more than $1.50/rd for), this was about as bad as it got at 100 yards:
That's... not as bad as it gets for me 😅

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back