Caribou Gear

How to hunt units with a bunch of roads in the forest

I am going to hunt in a unit with a bunch of roads I kind of had no choice. I looked at the Unit Map and there is a lot of roads and trails. I dont know if some of them are going to be closed in hunting season but that is what I hope for. How can I hunt this type of unit? I have been hunting for elk three years and all years where unsuccessful so im looking forward to this year. Any tips? Thanks

Call the nearest office for the US Forest Service and they can tell you about road closures. Sometimes they even have a list printed and available.

depending on the lay out of the roads,,it is possible to cruise in large circles,watch for tracks crossing the roads and be able to get a pretty good locate on the elk,,some times this can work,sometimes not,,depends on if the elk are meandering thru or in full run mode.

Get a MVUP from the FS Office, this will tell you what's open and what's not. From there draw a 1 mile border on either side of the open roads and mark those areas off. With this area blocked off, cross reference with a topo and satellite map finding physical barriers to remote country where the elk will have cover, limited food and water.

My first question to ask the rangers would be whether there are elk in that area during hunting season. If yes, then I'd expect them to be in the places people are the least likely to be. That may, or may not, be due to distance. Elk can hole up not far from roads if they are not bothered. Alternatively, look for spots where they may travel due to pressure.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back